Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer


1. Are gifts to Yale University Athletics tax deductible?
Yes, gifts are tax deductible to the extent of the law. For more information please call (203) 432-1434

2. How do I make a gift to Yale Athletics?
You can make a gift by credit card or check made payable to "Yale University" and should include the sport program you wish to have to your contribution directed towards. You can call (203)432-1434 or send in a check to:

Yale University
Yale Athletic Association
P.O. Box 1844
New Haven, CT 06508-1844

3. What is the difference between giving to the RTA and an individual Sports Association?
The Ray Tompkins Associates (RTA) is a general athletic fund for all of Yale's 35 varsity programs. Money donated to the RTA, is unrestricted, and benefits the entire athletic Department and all 1,000 of our student-athletes.. Giving to a Sport Association will go directly to that sport and will used specifically for the individual program.

4. What are the benefits of supporting the Ray Tompkins Associates and Yale Sports Associations?
Both the RTA and sport associations raise funds for all Yale's varsity programs. Members of Sport Associations and the RTA form a special team of alumni, parents and friends of Yale Athletics, who help maintain the tradition of excellence at Yale.Membership benefits include monthly newsletters, invitations to special events, parking benefits, tax deductions, and more.

5. How Much Should I Contribute?
As a RTA member or a sport association member, you can contribute at any donor level. Your membership benefits for each organization do vary depending on the amount that you donate. For more information, please contact the Athletic Alumni Office at (203) 432-1434.

6. How to give securities or mutual fund shares to Yale?

Please notify your bank, broker, or mutual fund company that you are making a gift of securities or mutual fund shares to Yale and instruct your representative to contact the Office of Development, Contribution Processing, at (203) 432-4107, or email to for instructions. You should contact Contribution Processing directly if securities are held by you.

Please send unendorsed certificates by mail, along with a letter giving your name, address, Yale College class or Scholl affiliation, and the purpose of your gift to:

Office of Development
Contribution Processing
Yale University
P.O. Box 805
New Haven, CT 06503-0805

Telephone: (203) 432-4107

In a separate envelope, please mail to same address a stock power for each certificate, along with a copy of your letter. Do not complete any other information on the stock power other than your signature and the date. If the certificate represents a greater number of shares than you intend to give to Yale, please enclose a note requesting the return of new stock certificate with the non-gift balance.

Your bank or broker can supply you with blank stock powers, or Contribution Processing will be happy to send them to you. For most expedient handling, do not fill in Yale's name as transferee on either the stock certificate or the stock power, and please do not send stock certificates to a transfer agent for transfer into Yale's name.

Please contact the Office of Development, Contribution Processing at (203) 432-4107 with information about your mutual fund shares. The procedure for transferring shares is established by the mutual fund company, and Contribution Processing will be able to assist you with the appropriate letters of instruction