New Haven Tennis Outreach (NHTO)
NHTO provides free year-round tutoring, tennis lessons, and mentoring to selected Vincent E. Mauro Elementary Magnet School students. Through the combination of athletics and academics a bond is facilitated between students and mentors (Yale varsity coaches, varsity & club team members) that can positively influence the direction of the student's futures. Students also receive a full scholarship to all four weeks of the Blue & White Championship Tennis Camps held at the Yale tennis courts during the month of July.
Contact: Alex Dorato, Cary Leeds Coach of Men's Tennis, email@example.com
Provide youth from low-income families in the New Haven community with free tennis coaching, academic tutoring and mentorship.
The program strives to promote the character-building benefits of athletics (i.e. work ethic, sportsmanship, commitment, leadership skills). Through the combination of athletics and academics a bond is facilitated between students and mentors that can positively influence the direction of the students' futures.
New Haven Tennis Outreach is a non-profit youth development program for students in grades 3-12. The program is directed towards children from low-income families that otherwise would not have access to high-quality academic guidance or athletic instruction. Undergraduates from the Yale Varsity Tennis Teams will mentor the program's students year-round; providing consistent tennis lessons and one-on-one academic tutoring.
- In the program's first year, it plans to accept about ten students ages 8 to 10. The program will be supported by approximately 20 volunteer undergraduates, as well as the tennis coaching staffs.
- Students will be selected for the program based in large part on their academic enthusiasm, attitude and work ethic, as well as a general assessment of need.
- Each student will have dedicated undergraduates that will meet with the student at least once a week for tutoring or general guidance.
- Tennis lessons will be scheduled primarily at the Yale tennis facilities.
- In addition to the weekly tutoring/mentoring meetings, the program aims to schedule tennis instruction at least once a week.
- In addition to providing access to tennis courts, the Yale Athletic Department will provide access to select facilities that can be used for academic work.
- Students will receive scholarships to attend the Blue & White Tennis Camps directed by the Yale coaches during the month of July.
New Haven Tennis Outreach & Thomas W. Ford '42 Community Outreach Program:
New Haven Tennis Outreach is being developed under the umbrella, and with the administrative support, of the Thomas W. Ford '42 Community Outreach Program. The Ford Program was formed in 1996 with the support of the Yale Athletic Department to pursue the following mission:
- To Bring Yale Athletics and Yale student-athletes into the New Haven community.
- To provide Yale student-athletes with the opportunity to become involved in community programs.
- To provide opportunities for community groups, organizations, and schools to utilize Yale's athletic facilities.
- To continue to develop new creative programs that benefits the New Haven community.