Prospective Student Athletes
Thank you for your interest in Yale Athletics. Please use this site as a resource for information regarding your future participation in Yale Athletics. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Yale Compliance Office.
Initial Eligibility/NCAA Eligibility Center
All freshman student-athletes must be certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center. Certification has two parts, academic and amateurism. Prospective student-athletes can register with the NCAA Eligibility Center at any time. Following his/her junior year, a prospective student-athlete should have a transcript sent to the Eligibility Center and all test scores should be sent using code 9999. Beginning on April 1 prior to enrollment, prospective student-athletes may request final amateurism certification.
For more information on the NCAA Eligibility Center, specific requirements, and registration information, please visit www.ncaaclearinghouse.net.
We welcome you to visit Yale's campus at any time. Prior to his/her senior year, a prospective student-athlete may visit Yale's campus as his/her own expense at any time, with the exception of recruiting dead periods. We invite you to contact our coaching staffs prior to your visit. Also, please note that there are restrictions on when coaches may begin to make telephone calls to prospective student-athletes. However, you may call our coaches at your own expense at any time.
Retaining amateur status is required for participation in varsity athletics. Ivy League regulations require that a student-athlete be an amateur in all sports in order to compete in any sport. This differs from the NCAA regulations that only require a student-athlete to maintain amateur status in the sport(s) in which he/she competes. If you have any questions regarding your amateurism status, please do not hesitate to contact Dan Silverman (203-436-8309 or email@example.com).
Sports wagering is a very serious issue and can lead to the permanent loss of intercollegiate eligibility. A student-athlete will become ineligible if he/she:
- Provides information to individuals involved in organized gambling activities concerning intercollegiate athletics competition;
- Solicits a bet on any intercollegiate team;
- Accepts a bet on any team representing the institution;
- Solicits or accepts a bet on any intercollegiate competition for any item (e.g., cash, shirt, dinner) that has tangible value;
- Participates in any gambling activity that involves intercollegiate or professional athletics, through a bookmaker, parlay card, or any other method employed by organized gambling.