Yale Bowl, Class of 1954 Field
Kenney Center and Jensen Plaza
Dedication of Kenney Center & Jensen Plaza The opening of the Kenney Center and Jensen Plaza marked the final phase of the $30 million restoration of the 95-year-old Yale Bowl, a national historic landmark. Over 250 people were in attendance of the dedication on November 21st, 2009.
The Kenney’s are the only four brother football combination in Yale history. Jerome Kenney, Brian R. Kenney ’61, Robert D. Kenney ’67 and Richard L. Kenney ’71 all played for the Elis and together made a gift to name the Kenney Center. Robert’s son, Jeffrey S. Kenney ’93, also played football at Yale. The Kenney Center, which replaces the old halftime room, contains team meeting rooms, an alumni area with views to the field, and a rooftop terrace that provides a panoramic look at most of the Yale athletic facilities around the Bowl.
Jensen Plaza— named to recognize the gifts of Irving F. Jensen Jr. ’54, Colin C. Jensen ’57, Erik M. Jensen ’63, and Mark R. Jensen ’67—is a place for fans to gather before and after games. Two of the Jensen brothers are former Yale football players who earned Ivy League Championship rings. Colin, who had two letters, was part of the 1956 Bulldog squad that went 8-1, was undefeated in Ancient Eight play and cruised past Princeton and Harvard on the way to a title. Erik earned three football letters and was a member of Yale's last perfect (9-0) team in 1960. That Eli squad was challenged early before reeling off seven lopsided victories.
Kenney Center & Jensen Plaza
Champions Room of the Kenney Center