July 7, 2011
Trip To Florida, 12 Home Dates Highlight 2011-12 Schedule
Bulldogs Open Season Nov. 11 In Connecticut 6 Classic
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Eight games against teams that played in the post season last year highlight the 2011-12 Yale men's basketball schedule. In all, the Bulldogs will play 28 games – 12 at home in the friendly confines of the John J. Lee Amphitheater, 15 on the road and one at a neutral site. The biggest challenge figures to come on New Year's Eve at Florida. The Gators are ranked in most of the preseason top-25 polls and lost to Butler in the Elite Eight last season.
Complete 2011-12 Yale Men's Basketball Schedule
- The other opponents that reached the post season last year are Quinnipiac (CollegeInsider.com), Vermont (NIT), Rhode Island (CBI), Harvard (NIT) and Princeton (NCAA).
- The season begins on Nov. 11 against Central Connecticut as part of the Connecticut 6 Classic tripleheader at the Mohegan Sun Arena. Sacred Heart plays Hartford and Quinnipiac takes on Fairfield in the other games in the classic.
- The Bulldogs will play their second game in Newark's Prudential Center when they face Seton Hall on Nov. 22. Yale defeated NJIT 80-51 in the building in 2009. Yale and Seton Hall will be playing for the first time since 1943.
- Defending America East regular season champion Vermont visits the John J. Lee Amphitheater on Dec. 3, one of only three home games in the 2011 portion of the schedule. The Catamounts will be under the direction of first-year coach John Becker.
- Yale and Rhode Island renew a rivalry that dates back to 1925 on Dec. 18. The teams will be playing for the first time since 2004.
- Yale will have the opportunity to knock off an ACC school for the second straight year. The Bulldogs travel to Wake Forest on Dec. 29. Yale won at Boston College last year. The game at Wake Forest will be a homecoming for junior guard Michael Grace, a Winston-Salem, N.C., native who played at Mt. Tabor High School.
- The game with Florida will be Yale's first against the Gators.
- The Bulldogs will play only one road game in the month of January – at Brown on Jan. 21
- Ivy League plays kicks off on Jan. 14 at home against Brown. Five of Yale's first six Ivy games are in Lee Amphitheater.
- Defending Ivy League champion Princeton visits New Haven on Feb. 4. The Bulldogs play at Princeton on Mar. 2.
The Bulldogs return four starters from last year's team that finished 15-13 overall and 8-6 in the Ivy League.
Report filed by Tim Bennett, Yale Sports Publicity