Late TDs Not Enough in 38-21 Loss at Penn

Late TDs Not Enough in 38-21 Loss at Penn

Oct. 22, 2005

Photo Gallery

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - Penn ambushed Yale with 28 points and four sacks in the first half en route to a 38-21 win Saturday afternoon. On a cold, rainy day at Franklin Field, the Quakers got three touchdowns from running back Sam Mathews to remain unbeaten in the Ivy League, grabbing a one-game lead in the Ivy title chase over the Bulldogs. Yale scored three fourth-quarter touchdowns, including a pair from QB Jeff Mroz to WR Ashley Wright, but it was not enough.

Playing their first home game since the death of their teammate Kyle Ambrogi, the Quakers seized momentum quickly. A six minute span at the end of the first quarter put Penn in command. First, Penn drove 46 yards in 12 plays -- despite losing starting QB Pat McDermott to an injury midway through the drive -- and got a 1-yard touchdown run by Mathews with 3:38 to play in the first. Penn's defense then forced Yale into a three-and-out, the last play of which was a nine-yard loss on a sack. The Quaker offense started off at its own 49 after the Yale punt, and on the second play backup QB Bryan Walker launched one deep to RB Joe Sandberg. Sandberg made the grab, shook off a Yale defender, and dashed into the end zone for a 48-yard touchdown just 82 seconds after the first score.

The Quakers were not done yet. Another three-and-out, including an 11-yard loss on a sack, ended Yale's next drive at its own 11. The Quakers took over at the Eli 27 and three plays later were back in the end zone, with Mathews twisting his way in past the Yale defense from six yards out. With 13:32 left before halftime, Penn had a 21-0 lead.

Penn added another score before halftime, driving 61 yards in seven plays for a 29-yard touchdown pass from Walker to WR Matt Carre on a post pattern down the middle of the field. Yale's next drive started with another Penn sack, a 13-yarder by DL Adam Licari, and the Bulldogs once again had to punt after just three plays. Penn added another sack, by DL Naheem Harris, on the final play before halftime to conclude their impressive 30-minute stretch.

The first two Yale drives of the second half totaled only eight yards; meanwhile the Quakers tacked on a 37-yard field goal by Zoch and a five-yard Mathews touchdown run to increase the lead to 38-0.

Yale got on the scoreboard at 12:28 of the fourth quarter on a 19-yard touchdown pass from Mroz to a wide-open WR Todd Feiereisen. Four minutes later Mroz found Wright for a 25-yard touchdown, and with 2:35 to play he led Wright with another deep pass for a score, this one a 57-yarder.

Yale returns to action Saturday at Columbia.

report by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity