Lawrie Named I-AA All-American
Dec. 17, 2003
The American Football Coaches Association has named Yale tight end Nate Lawrie to its I-AA All-America Team. Lawrie and Penn offensive lineman Chris Clark were the only Ivy Leaguers named to the team.
Lawrie, a senior, is an NFL prospect and will participate in this year's Blue-Gray Classic. He was also named to the New England Football Writers I-AA All-Star team, won the New Haven Gridiron Club Offensive Award, and set the school season record for catches by a tight end with 72. His 16 catches at Colgate were second most by a Yalie all-time, and his 167 yards in that game ranked eighth. His 116 career receptions is second all-time. The 6'7", 256-pounder was also Yale's starting punter.
The AFCA has selected an All-America team every year since 1945. The AFCA's Division I-AA All-America Selection Committee is made up of three head coaches from each of the AFCA's nine districts, one of whom serves as a district chairman, along with another head coach who serves as the chairman of the selection committee. The coaches in each district are responsible for ranking the top players in their respective districts prior to a conference call between the district chairmen and the committee chairman on which the team is chosen.
Lawrie's 2003 honors:
- Selected to play in Blue-Gray Classic
- Associated Press I-AA All-America (1st team)
- AFCA I-AA All-America Team (1st team)
- The Sports Network 2003 I-AA All-America (3rd team)
- First Team All-Ivy and All-ECAC
- NE Football Writers I-AA All-Star
- New Haven Gridiron Club Offensive Award
- Owns school season record for catches by a TE with 72 (31 more than last year)
- NFL prospect because of size, hands and blocking abilities
- 16 catches at Colgate were 2nd most by a Yalie all-time, 167 yards ranked 8th
- Also starting punter and tallest Yale player
- 72 catches rank 2nd all-time for any receiver at Yale
- 116 career receptions is 2nd at school
- 5-time offensive line game MVP for Yale this season
report by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity Department