Dec. 4, 2008
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - With the event just three months away and well over 2,000 all-session tickets already sold, Fairfield University and Yale University officially started the run to the 2009 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Regional by announcing the Honorary Host Committee at a news conference Wednesday evening. Fairfield and Yale are the co-hosts of the event, which takes place on March 27 and 28 at the Arena at Harbor Yard.
Father Jeffrey P. von Arx, Society of Jesus and president of Fairfield University, Bruce Alexander, Vice President for New Haven and State Affairs and Campus Development and The Honorable Bill Finch, Mayor of the City of Bridgeport, will serve as the co-chairs for this year's event.
"I am excited about partnering with Yale University in bringing college hockey's elite teams to the Arena at Harbor Yard and the City of Bridgeport," Father Von Arx said. "Our goal is to provide a memorable experience for the student athletes and their families, as well as the alumni and fans of the participating schools. We are very fortunate to have an Honorary Host Committee which includes prominent members of all sectors of the community. I know they will help us achieve our goal."
"We are thrilled to partner with Fairfield in producing a first-class NCAA event that both schools, The Arena at Harbor Yard and the state of Connecticut will be proud of," Yale University Director of Athletics Tom Beckett said.
Tournament co-chairs Pat Murphy, senior associate director of athletics at Fairfield, and Wayne Dean, senior associate athletics director at Yale, announced the following honorary host committee members:
- Lt. Governor of the State of Connecticut, Michael Fedele
- Al Carbone, Senior Communication Specialist for United Illuminating
- Tom Chiappetta, Executive Director of the Fairfield County Sports Commission
- Ed Crowley, President of Dichello Distributors
- John Dobos, Director of External Affairs for Southern Connecticut Gas Company
- Peter Franz, President of Response Marketing
- Robert Keeley, Director of Bridgeport Downtown Special Services District
- Robert Laska, Publisher of the Connecticut Post
- Michele Macauda, Senior Vice President, AT&T Services
- Jay Margnelli, Sales Manager for Coca Cola Bottling Company
- Bill Matthews, President of Yale Hockey Association
- Tom McCarthy, President of the Bridgeport City Council
- Mike Meakem, President of Connecticut Hockey Conference
- Anthony Morone, Vice President of Client Services at United Illuminating
- William Mitchell, Vice Chairman, Mitchell's of Westport
- Dr. John Ramos, Sr., Superintendent of Schools for the City of Bridgeport
- Allen Roth, Sales Center Manager of the Coca Cola Bottling Company
- Howard Saffan, President of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Vincent Santilli, First Vice President and Growth Manager, People's Bank
- Robert Scinto, President/Owner of R.D. Scinto, Inc.
- August Serra, Manager of Communications and Community Relations for General Electric
- Paul Timpanelli, President and CEO of the BRBC
- William Tommins, Executive Vice President, Bank of America
- Peyton Patterson, Chairman, President & CEO of New Alliance Bankshares, Inc.
"It's exciting to be the center of the hockey world in North America for four days," said Wayne Dean referring to Harbor Yard being one of the four NCAA Regional sites. "It's great to be able to bring the best of college hockey to the greatest hockey fans in the country."
Fairfield and Yale will also host the 2011 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Regional at the Arena at Harbor Yard.
Tickets for the 2009 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Regional can be purchased at the Arena at Harbor Yard box office.