Blue Falls 6-5 To Penn

Brandon Mangan. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)
Brandon Mangan. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)

Last-Second Shot Nearly Sends Game to OT

NEW HAVEN, Conn.Conrad Oberbeck, Brandon Mangan and Michael Keasey each had two points, but it wasn't enough to get the Yale men's lacrosse team its second Ivy League victory this season. The Bulldogs fell to Penn 6-5 on a rainy day at Reese Stadium.


Yale started the scoring off with two goals in the first quarter.  Eric Scott found the net unassisted ripping a shot low on the goalie from 20 feet out with 13:17 left.  Yale's second goal came when J.W. McGovern ran behind the net to find a wide-open Michael Keasey a few feet in front of the restraining line.  Keasey winded back his shot and roped a goal past Penn's Brian Feeney at 4:24.


Oberbeck scored the only goal in the second quarter to give the Bulldogs a 3-2 lead going to the half.  Oberbeck started the play by passing the ball to Shane Thornton.  Thornton continued the rotation passing to Sean Shakespeare and eventually to Brandon Mangan.  Mangan looked ready to shoot, but dished it back to Oberbeck.  Oberbeck was coming from the right side, received the pass from Mangan, turned and ripped a shot to the top right corner of Penn's net.


The first goal of the second half came with 6:41 remaining in the third as Mangan put Yale up by two with his 12th goal of the season. Mangan received Michael Keasey's pass from behind the net, ran in front, and found the top left corner right above Feeney's stick.  Shortly after, Penn scored two goals to tie the game at 4-4 going into the fourth.


From there Penn scored goals with 9:24 and 3:35 remaining to increase the Quaker lead by two.  Down 6-4, the Bulldogs upped their offensive attack.


Oberbeck scored his 17th of the season with 1:16 left by getting around the right post and netting a shot just above the goalie's right shoulder cutting Penn's lead to one. The Quakers, coming out of a timeout with possession of the ball, had 28 seconds on the clock to kill to take the road victory. All they had to do was make a few passes.


Jack Meyer, who replaced Eric Natale in net, pounced on the initial pass and fired the ball down field looking for Oberbeck. After a fight for the ground ball, J.W. McGovern was able to gain possession.  McGovern was pushed out of bounds but the officials ruled it Yale ball.  Yale then called its final timeout with 13.7 seconds left to give the Elis one last chance to tie it up.


After the timeout, Oberbeck started with the ball, took it from behind the net and raced out on the left side. He turned back, jumped, and fired a shot low that was saved by the Penn goalie.  After gaining possession Penn kept the ball behind the net until time expired.


Yale is next in action with it travels to Providence this Tuesday at 7 p.m.


Filed by Robert Klemens, Yale Sports Publicity Intern