UConn Tops Yale 4-1

UConn Tops Yale 4-1

Sept. 27, 2006

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - O'Brian White scored twice and added an assist as UConn extended its unbeaten streak to seven with a 4-1 victory over Yale before a crowd of 1,136 at Morrone Stadium. Chukwudi Chijindu and Ryan Cordeiro also scored for the Huskies. James Stewart had the goal for Yale, which saw its two-game winning streak end.

Trailing 1-0 at halftime, the Bulldogs played well in the second half, outshooting UConn 8-4. The Huskies, though, scored once in the first five minutes of the half and twice in the final five minutes en route to their fourth straight win.

"The final score doesn't reflect how well we played in the second half," said Yale head coach Brian Tompkins. "We fought our way back and played a lot smarter and effective soccer, but we continue to be haunted by key mistakes and a couple of them hurt us tonight."

The Huskies (6-2-2) capitalized on a Yale (4-4-1) miscue late in the first half to score first. White intercepted a header intended to go back to goalkeeper Erik Geiger, made a quick move and fired a low shot into the empty net.

UConn increased its lead to 2-0 just 3:23 in the second half. Chijindu settled a Kevin Burns pass from midfield and fired a shot into the lower right corner.

Alex Munns set up Stewart's goal in the 72nd minute. He faked a shot along the far side and then centered the ball to Stewart, who banged it in.

"James, Alex and Tyler Guse were outstanding in the second half," Tompkins said. "They created danger."

The Bulldogs nearly tied it with 10 minutes left, but Liam Leonard's chip shot from just in front barely went over the crossbar.

"We were on the verge of tying the game," Tompkins said. "We had UConn on their back foot for about 10 minutes."

The Huskies, though, sealed the victory with a pair of late goals. Cordeiro one-timed a long cross from Mike Pezza on the left wing at 85:32 and then White capped the scoring with his second goal of the night at 87:13.

Yale nearly took the lead midway through the first half, but Kevin Pope's shot from the left wing banged off the far post.

UConn had a couple of chances late in the half. Stanley Ford took a shot from a tough angle along the left sideline, but Geiger reacted well and made the save moving to his right. A few minutes later, Chijindu's hard header from inside the box went just wide.

UConn outshot the Bulldogs 8-3 in the first half and 12-11 for the game.

The Bulldogs return to Ivy League play on Saturday when they travel to Harvard for a noon start.

Report filed by Tim Bennett, Yale Sports Publicity