No. 4 Elis Fall Short in Hartford
Bulldogs' Winning Streak Comes to End
HARTFORD, Conn. – The No. 4 Yale men's squash team fell 7-2 to No. 2 Trinity on Wednesday, failing to replicate the incredible upset they dealt the Bantams last January. Both teams entered the match undefeated, with the Elis boasting a 7-0 record and the Bantams perfect through eight.
The clash of the squash titans got off to a slow start for the visiting team, who dropped matches at Nos. 6 and 9 in the first wave of play. Senior Richard Dodd, however, kept the team in contention with a 3-1 win (11-9, 11-5, 4-11, 12-10) at No. 3.
It was in the second round of matches that the Bantams clinched the win. At No. 2, senior Hywel Robinson fell to Juan Vargas (who often plays at No. 1) in three games (11-6, 11-8, 11-5), while at No. 8 junior Charlie Wyatt also lost in the three to Moustafa Hamada (11-5, 11-2, 11-3). Freshman Sam Fenwick, one of the Bulldogs' most reliable players this season, gave his team its second and final point with a hard-fought 3-0 win (11-8, 11-9, 11-9) at No. 5.
With the match already decided, the Bulldogs continued to battle in the third wave. At No. 4 junior Neil Martin took his bout with Karan Malik to four games, eventually falling 12-10, 11-3, 11-7, 11-3. At Nos. 1 and 7, respectively, senior Kenneth Chan and junior Eric Caine each fell 3-0.
The Bulldogs entered a difficult atmosphere in Hartford, with a large crowd of Trinity students in attendance. With the win, the Bantams retain their 14-season winning streak at home.
Yale will look to recover in its next match, a home competition against No. 2 Navy scheduled for Saturday at 12 p.m. in the Brady Squash Center.
Report by Joe Giammittorio '15, Yale Sports Publicity
1. TC- Reinhold Hergeth d. Kenneth Chan, 11-4, 11-7, 11-9
2. TC- Juan Vargas d. Hywel Robinson, 11-6, 11-8, 11-5
3. Y- Richard Dodd d. Miled Zarazua, 11-9, 11-5, 4-11, 12-10
4. TC- Karan Malik d. Neil Martin, 12-10, 11-3, 11-7, 11-3
5. Y- Sam Fenwick d. Vrishab Kotian 11-8, 11-9, 11-9
6. TC- Johan Detter d. Zachary Leman 11-3, 11-4, 11-4
7. TC- Zeyad Elshorafy d. Eric Caine 11-6, 11-4, 11-2
8. TC- Moustafa Hamada d. Charlie Wyatt, 11-5, 11-2, 11-3
9. TC- Matthew Mackin d. Pehlaaj Bajwa 11-8, 11-2, 11-8
Trinity (Conn.) 7, Yale 2