Jan. 26, 2005
Hartford, CT - The No. 3 Elis (5-1, 3-0 Ivy) suffered their first loss of the season Wednesday night, falling to No. 1 Trinity (5-0), 8-1.
Julian Illingworth earned the Bulldogs' only victory, defeating the Bantams' Bernardo Samper 3-2 at No. 1. Illingworth dealt Samper, the 2002 individual national champion, his first loss on Trinity's home courts in team play in his four-year collegiate career.
"I was pretty tired in the third and fourth game and I found myself up against a wall and had to give everything I had in the fifth game and was able to pull it out."
Elsewhere, Ho Ming Chiu and Max Samuel were the only Elis able to take a game from the Bantams, who are the six-time defending national champions.
Yale returns to action Saturday, when it hosts Ivy foe No. 7 Princeton (2-1, 1-1) at the Brady Squash Center.
Trinity 8, Yale 1
1. Julian Illingworth (Y) def. Bernardo Samper (T), 3-2
2. Regardt Schonborn (T) def. Josh Schwartz (Y), 3-0
3. Shaun Johnstone (T) def. Moshe Sarfaty (Y), 3-0
4. Yvain Shafiq Badan (T) def. Nick Chirls (Y), 3-0
5. Eduardo Pereira (T) def. Trevor Reese (Y), 3-0
6. Sahil Vora (T) def. Gavin Cumberbatch (Y), 3-0
7. Jaques Swanepoel (T) def. Chris Wyant (Y), 3-0
8. Vishual Kapoor (T) def. Ho Ming Chiu (Y) 3-1
9. Eric Wadwha (T) def. Max Samuel (Y) 3-1
Report filed by Sean Singer '06, Yale Sports Publicity