Bantams Find Wings, Fly By Bulldogs 8-1
Feb. 24, 2007
New Haven, CT - For a few moments it looked like Yale might have a chance of taking down the squash powerhouse Trinity. Freshman Todd Ruth battled back from an 8-1 deficit in the first game at No. 6 in the third match of the day to tie the score at 8-8. However, Ruth's opponent blew by him and Trinity went on to win the first six matches of the day en route to an 8-1 victory in the semifinals of the CSA Team Championships Saturday.
Freshman Aaron Fuchs helped Yale improve upon the January results as he managed to overcome a 2-1 deficit to pull out a thrilling 2-9 9-7 4-9 9-2, 9-3 victory at No. 5. An injury to No. 2 Max Samuel did not help Yale's chances, as everyone except No. 1 Nick Chirls had to move up one spot.
After the match, Head Coach Dave Talbott said Yale put in a great effort against a very tough Trinity team that increased its winning streak to 164 games.
"[Trinity] played intensely," Talbott said. "Got to give them credit for their focus. They all play really focused and hard. We battled. We played a lot of good games. Trinity has set a standard. They have really upped the game. They have raised the level of the college game. They have raised the level of the American game."
Yale will play Harvard Sunday in the match for third place. The Bulldogs will look to avenge Wednesday's 7-2 loss to Harvard, Talbott said.
"We're psyched about playing Harvard," Talbott said. "If we can finish three in the country that will be special."
1. Baset Ashfaq (T) def. Nick Chirls (Y), 3-0 (9-6 9-2 9-3)
2. Shaun Johnstone (T) def. Francis Johnson (Y), 3-0 (9-2, 9-0, 9-0)
3. Gustav Detter (T) def. Ho Ming Chiu (Y), 3-0 (9-0, 9-3, 9-1)
4. Sahil Vora (T) def. Moshe Sarfaty (Y), 3-1 (9-5 5-9 9-2 9-2)
5. Aaron Fuchs (Y) def. Eduardo Pereira (T), 3-2 (2-9 9-7 4-9 9-2 9-3)
6. Manek Mathur (T) def. Todd Ruth (Y), 3-0 (10-8 9-3 9-0)
7. Supreet Singh (T) def. Colin Campbell (Y), 3-1 (9-3 8-10 9-0, ret.)
8. Rushabh Vora (T) def. Ethan Oetter (Y), 3-1 (9-3 7-9 9-2 9-4)
9. Simba Muhwati (T) def. Bill Hatch (Y), 3-0 (9-5 9-1, 9-1)
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity