No. 70 Yale Defeats Army 6-1
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The No. 70 Bulldogs rolled to a 6-1 victory over Army Sunday on the road to improve to 2-1 on the season. Yale won the doubles point and five of six singles matches to secure the victory.
Yale won all three doubles matches to win the doubles points. At No. 1 doubles, sophomore Joel Samaha and freshman Marc Powers won 8-4. Sophomore Erik Blumenkranz and junior Jordan Abergel won an 8-3 decision at No. 2 doubles. At the No. 3 doubles slot, freshmen John Huang and Daneiel Hoffman defeated their opponents 8-4.
In singles play, the Bulldogs won five matches in straight sets. Playing No. 1 singles, Powers rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Lucero. Huang cruised to a 6-2, 7-6 victory at No. 2 singles. At the No. 4 singles slot, Hoffman defeated Holland 6-3, 6-4. Blumenkranz won in straight sets 6-1, 6-3 at No. 5 singles. Playing No. 6 singles, senior Matt Schimmel rolled to a 6-3, 6-1 win over Clark.
Next weekend, Yale will host the ECAC Indoor Championships at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center. In this tournament, the Bulldogs will have the opportunity to see how they stack up against Ivy League competition.
1. Samaha/Powers (Y) def. Lucero/Albornoz (A); 8-4
2. Blumenkranz/Abergel (Y) def. Johnson/Holland (A); 8-3
3. Huang/Hoffman (Y) def. Clark/Shelton
1. Powers (Y) def. Lucero (A); 6-1, 6-1
2. Huang (Y) def. Johnson (A); 6-2, 7-6
3. Albornoz (A) def. Samaha (Y); 4-6, 6-4, 10-6
4. Hoffman (Y) def. Holland (A); 6-3, 6-4
5. Blumenkranz (Y) def. Shelton (A); 6-1, 6-3
6. Schimmel (Y) def. Clark (A); 6-3,
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity