PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Strong play by freshmen led Yale to a 5-2 victory over Penn Saturday as the Bulldogs improved to 12-7 on the season and 1-1 in the Ivy League. The Bulldogs won all three doubles matches to clinch the doubles point in the victory.
At No. 1 doubles, the doubles team of sophomore Erik Blumenkranz and sophomore Joel Samaha defeated Eugen Brazdil and Mark Milbrandt 8-5. Junior Calvin Bennett and freshman Marc Powers won 8-4 over Jason Magnes and Phil Law at No. 2 doubles. Playing No. 3 doubles, the duo of freshman John Huang and freshman Daniel Hoffman claimed an 8-5 victory over Adam Schwartz and Robert Wong.
Yale’s three freshmen led the way for the Bulldogs in singles play as they won their three singles matches in one hour and 15 minutes to clinch the victory for the Bulldogs. Powers rolled to a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 1 singles. At No. 2 singles, Huang cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win. Playing No. 4 singles, Hoffman handled his opponent to win in straight sets 6-2, 6-0.
Junior Calvin Bennett finished up the day for the Bulldogs with a 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (7) win over Adam Schwartz at No. 3 singles.
The Bulldogs will play host to Cornell and Columbia next weekend as they continue their quest for an Ivy League Championship.
1. Marc Powers (Y) def. Eugen Brazdil (P), 6-1, 6-2
2. John Huang (Y) def. Phil Law (P), 6-2, 6-1
3. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. Adam Schwartz, 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (7)
4. Daniel Hoffman (Y) def. Jason Lin (P), 6-2, 6-0
5. Jason Magnes (P) def. Erik Blumenkranz (Y), 6-3, 6-1
6. Justen Roth (P) def. Jordan Abergel (Y), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
1. Erik Blumenkranz / Joel Samaha (Y) def. Eugen Brazdil / Mark Milbrandt (P), 8-5
2. Calvin Bennett / Marc Powers (Y) def. Jason Magnes / Phil Law (P)
3. John Huang / Daniel Hoffman (Y) def. Adam Schwartz / Robert Wong (P), 8-5
Report Filed by Steven Horn ’10, Yale Sports Publicity