NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Bulldogs improved to 13-7 and 2-1 in the Ivy League with a 5-2 victory over No. 68 Cornell Friday at Yale University. Yale won five of six singles matches to clinch the victory.
The Bulldogs dropped the doubles point despite winning at No. 2 doubles. The doubles team of freshman Marc Powers and junior Calvin Bennett won that match 8-5 over Mirza Klis and Jonathan Jaklitsch.
But Yale rallied in singles play. Four of Yale's five singles victories came in straight sets. Once again it was freshmen that led the way for the Bulldogs.
At No. 1 singles, Powers won 7-5, 6-1 over Jaklitsch. Freshman John Huang rolled to a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Andy Gauthier at the No. 2 singles slot. Bennett defeated Jeremy Feldman 6-4, 6-1 at No. 3 singles. Playing No. 4 singles, freshman Daniel Hoffman cruised to a 6-4, 6-2 win over Jonathan Fife. Sophomore Erik Blumenkranz battled to a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles over Mizra Klis.
Yale is back in action Saturday when it hosts No. 45 Columbia.
1. Marc Powers (Y) def. Jonathan Jaklitsch (C), 7-5,
2. John Huang (Y) def. Andy Gauthier (C), 6-1, 6-2
3. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. Jeremy Feldman (C), 6-4, 6-1
4. Daniel Hoffman (Y) def. Jonathan Fife (C), 6-4, 6-2
5. Evan Bernstein (C) def. Joel Samaha (Y), 6-1, 6-3
6. Erik Blumenkranz (Y) def. Mirza Klis (C), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
1. Feldman / Gauthier (C) def. Blumenkranz / Samaha (Y),
2. Bennett / Powers (Y) def. Klis / Jaklitsch (C), 8-5
3. Fife / Bernstein (C) def. Huang / Hoffman (Y), 8-3
Report Filed by Steven Horn ’10, Yale Sports Publicity
Video by Sam Dorward '13, Yale Sports Publicity: