No. 67 Yale Defeats Dartmouth 5-2
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - No. 67 Yale improved to 15-7 on the season and 4-1 in the Ivy League with a 5-2 victory over Dartmouth Friday at home.
The Bulldogs won two of three doubles matches to clinch the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles, sophomore Erik Blumenkranz and sophomore Joel Samaha edged Daniel Freeman and Michael Laser 8-6. Freshman John Huang and freshman Daniel Hoffman defeated Alex de Chatellus and Chris Ho 8-4.
Yale won the top four singles matches in straight sets. Playing No. 1 singles, freshman Marc Powers improved to 5-0 in Ivy League match play with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Freeman. Huang cruised to a 6-2, 6-4 win over Laser. At the No. 3 singles slot, junior Calvin Bennett rolled to a 6-3, 7-6 win. Hoffman won 6-4, 7-5 over Ho at No. 4 singles.
Yale is back in action Sunday when they travel to Cambridge to face No. 64 Harvard.
1. Marc Powers (Y) def. Daniel Freeman (D), 6-4, 6-4
2. John Huang (Y) def. Michael Laser (D), 6-2, 6-4
3. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. W. Stephen Greif (D), 6-3, 7-6
4. Daniel Hoffman (Y) def. Chris Ho (D), 6-4, 7-5
5. Curtis Roby (D) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 6-3, 6-2
6. Xander Centenari (D) def. Erik Blumenkranz (Y), 6-4, 6-3
1. Blumenkranz / Samaha (Y) def. Freeman / Laser (D), 8-6
2. Greif / Roby (D) def. Bennett / Powers (Y), 8-7
3. Huang / Hoffman (Y) def. Chatellus / Ho (D), 8-4
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity
Video by David Dikranian: