PROVIDENCE, R.I. – No. 74 Yale wrapped up its regular season with a 6-1 victory over Brown Saturday at Brown University. The Bulldogs concluded the season with a 16-8 overall record and a 5-2 record in the Ivy League. Yale's 5-2 Ivy League record was good for a second place Ivy League finish.
The Elis began the day by winning the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles, the doubles team of freshman Marc Powers and sophomore Erik Blumenkranz won 8-6 over Kendrick Au and Tom Deighton. The duo of senior captain Connor Dawson and junior Calvin Bennett defeated Tim Klanke and Mike Hill 8-5.
Yale won five of six singles matches as well. Powers wrapped up an incredible freshman year for the Bulldogs with another straight set victory. Powers won 7-5, 6-3 over Skate Gorham to conclude his freshman year with a perfect 7-0 Ivy League record at No. 1 singles.
Freshman John Huang also concluded an impressive freshman year by rolling to a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Au at No. 2 singles. Playing No. 4 singles, freshman Daniel Hoffman won 7-6, 6-1 over Hill.
Dawson, a four-year starter for the Bulldogs who overcame several injuries this season, concluded his Yale career with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Klanke at No. 5 singles.
At the No. 6 singles slot, Blumenkranz battled to a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 win over Charlie Posner.
1. Marc Powers (Y) def. Skate Gorham (B), 7-5, 6-3
2. John Huang (Y) def. Kendrick Au (B), 6-2, 6-4
3. Tom Deighton (B) def. Calvin Bennett (Y), 6-1, 6-2
4. Daniel Hoffman (Y) def. Mike Hill (B), 7-6, 6-1
5. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Tim Klanke (B), 7-5, 6-1
6. Erik Blumenkranz (Y) def. Charlie Posner (B), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
1. Powers / Blumenkranz (Y) def. Au / Deighton (B), 8-6
2. Dawson / Bennett (Y) def. Klanke / Hill (B), 8-5
3. Hoffman/ Jordan Abergel (Y) def. Posner / Gerham (B), 8-3
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity