Singles Wins for Hoffman, Krumholz
STANFORD, Calif. – No. 10 Stanford swept doubles and won four of six singles matches to beat the Yale men's tennis team 5-2 Saturday afternoon at Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Yale (7-5) had its string of four straight doubles point wins snapped at the hands of the Cardinal, starting with a win at No. 1 by the No. 9 team in the country, Bradley Klahn and Ryan Thacher. Those two were coming off a Pacific Coast Doubles Championship win from the week before, and they topped Yale juniors Daniel Hoffman and Marc Powers 8-1. That was just the second loss of the spring for Hoffman and Powers.
The Cardinal won 8-3 at the No. 2 spot to clinch the doubles point, then got an 8-5 win at No. 3 where John Morrissey and Robert Steinman snapped a five-match winning streak for junior John Huang and sophomore Patrick Chase.
Hoffman, a California native, improved to 2-0 in singles on the trip with a 6-3, 7-6 win over Denis Lin at No. 3. Freshman Zachary Krumholz, playing for the first time since Feb. 18, improved to 5-1 with a 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 win over Jamin Ball at No. 6. But the Cardinal had already clinched the match by the time Hoffman and Krumholz won, getting straight-set wins at the Nos. 1, 4 and 5 spots. Matt Kandath added a 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 win over Huang at No. 2 for the 5-2 final.
Stanford (11-4) has now won four of its last five matches.
Yale's visit to California concludes with a match at San Francisco on Monday.
Report by Sam Rubin '95 (email@example.com), Yale Sports Publicity
1) No. 9 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) d. Hoffman/Powers (YALE) 8-1
2) Kandath/Lin (STAN) d. Blumenkranz/Samaha (YALE) 8-3
3) Morrissey/Stineman (STAN) d. Chase/Huang (YALE) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1) No. 99 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 78 Marc Powers (YALE) 6-2, 6-1
2) Matt Kandath (STAN) d. John Huang (YALE) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0
3) Daniel Hoffman (YALE) d. Denis Lin (STAN) 6-3, 7-6
4) John Morrissey (STAN) d. Erik Blumenkranz (YALE) 6-2, 6-3
5) Robert Stineman (STAN) d. Kyle Dawson (YALE) 6-2, 6-4
6) Zachary Krumholz (YALE) d. Jamin Ball (STAN) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5, 6, 3, 2