Crimson Win All Matches to Seal 7-0 Win
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – In its fifth away match of the season, the Yale men's tennis team fell to No. 34 Harvard in a 7-0 decision on Sunday at the Crimson's home courts. The Bulldogs fought for every point, but Harvard's lineup proved too strong in the end, as the Crimson wrapped up a clean slate of straight-set victories.
At No. 3 doubles, the Yale pair of junior Daniel Faierman and freshman Photos Photiades kept on the pressure for much of its match until Harvard's team of Sebastien Beltrame and Christo Schultz pulled away for an 8-5 triumph. The Crimson secured the doubles point with an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles.
The Bulldogs continued to look for chances to mount a comeback once singles play began, but Harvard overcame all resistance. The Crimson notched straight-set wins at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5 singles to clinch the overall victory. The final match to finish on Sunday was the No. 1 match, a clash which pitted Harvard's Denis Nguyen, ranked No. 40 in the nation, against Yale freshman Tyler Lu, ranked No. 105 in the country. Though the higher-ranked player ultimately came away with the victory, Lu made Nguyen work hard for the 7-6, 6-2 win.
Harvard's victory places it firmly in second place in the overall Ivy League standings, while the Elis remain at seventh place. Yale's opponent in its final match of the season is the Ancient Eight team currently at No. 8, Brown. The encounter, which will take place at Brown on Saturday, Apr. 26, is a chance for Yale to stay in front of the Bears and pull even with No. 52 Cornell and Penn. The Bulldogs, especially the three outgoing seniors, will be aiming to finish the season on a high note.
Report by Robert Batista '15, Yale Sports Publicity
Doubles (Order of finish: 3, 2)
1. No. 11 Denis Nguyen/Casey MacMaster (Harvard) vs. Tyler Lu/Martin Svenning (Yale), 7-3 (DNF)
2. Nicky Hu/Brian Yeung (Harvard) def. Patrick Chase/Kyle Dawson (Yale), 8-3
3. Sebastien Beltrame/Christo Schultz (Harvard) def. Daniel Faierman/Photos Photiades (Yale), 8-5
Singles (Order of finish: 2, 5, 4, 3, 6, 1)
1. No. 40 Denis Nguyen (Harvard) def. No. 105 Tyler Lu (Yale), 7-6, 6-2
2. Beltrame (Harvard) def. Svenning (Yale), 6-2, 6-3
3. Shaun Chaudhuri (Harvard) def. Faierman (Yale), 6-2, 6-4
4. Alex Steinroeder (Harvard) def. Dawson (Yale), 6-3, 6-2
5. Yeung (Harvard) def. Photiades (Yale), 6-3, 6-2
6. Hu (Harvard) def. Zachary Krumholz (Yale), 6-4, 6-1