Yale Falls to Furman 7-0
Feb. 16, 2008
Greenville, SC - Yale (0-2) lost to Furman (1-3) 7-0 Saturday in Greenville, South Carolina. Junior Jeff Dawson, sophomore Connor Dawson, and freshman Calvin Bennett all took their opponents to three sets in the loss.
After losing their first three matches of the season to three teams ranked in the top 15 in the country, Furman came out strong against Yale by sweeping all three doubles matches. Furman then proceeded to sweep the six singles matches to pull off the 7-0 victory.
At No. 2 singles, Jeff Dawson won the first set 7-6 before losing the next 6-3 to Robert Ladyman. Ladyman then finished Dawson off in a tiebreaker 8-6. Connor Dawson won the first set as well at No. 4 singles 7-6 before dropping the next two. At No. 5 singles, Calvin Bennett battled back after losing the first set to win the next before dropping in the match to Jordan Walters.
Yale will battle Wofford in Greenville, South Carolina Sunday.
1. Andy Juc (F) def. Michael Caldwell (Y), 6-4, 6-2
2. Robert Ladyman (F) def. Jeff Dawson (Y), 6-7, 6-3, 1-0 (6)
3. Daniel Knause (F) def. Rory Green (Y), 6-2, 6-4
4. Chris Motes (F) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 6-7, 6-1, 6-3
5. Jordan Walters (F) def. Calvin Bennett (Y), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
6. Sawyer Duncan (F) def. Matt Schimmel (Y), 6-2, 6-1
1. Ladyman / Juc (F) def. Green / Bennett (Y), 8-0
2. Chris Rhyne / Andrei Chvetsov (F) def. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y), 8-3
3. Jason Basile / Knause (F) def. J. Dawson / Josh Lederman (Y), 8-6
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity