Yale Defeats Loyola Marymount 4-3
March 13, 2009
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The Bulldogs improved to 8-3 on the season with a 4-3 victory over Loyola Marymount Friday in Los Angeles, Calif. Senior Jeff Dawson won the decisive match for the Bulldogs for the second time in as many days.
With the match tied three all between Yale and Loyola Marymount, Dawson and his opponent kept playing long after the other matches had completed. Dawson battled to a 7-5, 6-7, 6-4 victory over Renzo Maggi to secure Yale's victory.
The Bulldogs won two of three doubles matches to win the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles, senior Michael Caldwell and junior Connor Dawson rolled to an 8-2 win over Geza Bazula and Johan Berhof. Jeff Dawson and sophomore Calvin Bennett cruised to an 8-1 win over Renzo Maggi and Aris Andreasian at No. 2 doubles.
Yale also won matches at No. 3 and No. 4 singles. Playing No. 3 singles, Connor Dawson pulled out a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 win over Aram Abgaryan. Bennett won 6-2, 7-6 over Johan Berhof at No. 4 singles.
The victory marked Yale's third straight victory, all coming by a score of 4-3 on the California spring break trip.
Yale will next face the University of Nevada in San Diego, Calif on Monday.
1. Jeff Dawson (YALE) def. Renzo Maggi (LMU) 7-5, 6-7, 6-4
2. Ivan Lopez (LMU) def. Michael Caldwell (YALE) 6-2, 7-5
3. Connor Dawson (YALE) def. Aram Abgaryan (LMU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
4. Calvin Bennett (YALE) def. Johan Berhof (LMU) 6-2, 7-6
5. Geza Bazula (LMU) def. Joel Samaha (YALE) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
6. Aris Andreasian (LMU) def. Erik Blumenkranz (YALE) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
1. Michael Caldwell/Connor Dawson (YALE) def. Geza Bazula/Johan Berhof (LMU) 8-2
2. Jeff Dawson/Calvin Bennett (YALE) def. Renzo Maggi/Aris Andreasian (LMU) 8-1
3. Ivan Lopez/Nick Von Der Ahe (LMU) def. Joel Samaha/Josh Lederman (YALE) 7-7, 7-5
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity