Bulldogs Roll to 4-3 Victory
March 17, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA - Playing without junior Rory Green, the Bulldogs (4-5) managed to win three singles matches and all three doubles matches en route to a 4-3 victory over UC Santa Barbara (2-13) Friday.
Green, who tweaked his back, was replaced on the No. 1 doubles team with sophomore Michael Caldwell. Caldwell and senior Brandon Wai responded by winning the match 8-3 over Anders Dalskov and Grant Robertson. At No. 2 doubles, sophomore Jeff Dawson and sophomore Josh Lederman won 8-5 over Josh Finkelstein and Nigel Barton. The freshmen team of Connor Dawson and Matt Schimmel pulled out a 9-7 victory over Max Taylor and Bijan Hejazi.
Caldwell also won his singles match. Caldwell won in three sets over Dalskov with a 6-3 victory in the third set at No. 2 singles. Jeff Dawson rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Nigel Barton at No. 3 singles. Connor Dawson, playing at No. 5 as a result of Green's injury, continued his success over the spring break trip by winning his third straight match over Grant Robertson 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
The Bulldogs continue their spring trip when they take on San Diego State University Monday.
1. Bijan Hejazi (UCSB) def. Brandon Wai (Y), 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
2. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Anders Kalskov (UCSB), 6-4, 3-6 6-3
3. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Nigel Barton (UCSB), 6-1, 6-1
4. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Matt Schimmel (Y), 1-6, 6-4, 7-6
5. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Grant Robertson (UCSB), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Max Taylor (UCSB) def. Josh Lederman (Y), 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Wai / Caldwell (Y) def. Dalskov / Robertson (UCSB), 8-3
2. J. Dawson / Lederman (Y) def. Finkelstien / Barton (UCSB), 8-5
3. C. Dawson / Schimmel (Y) def. Taylor / Hejazi (UCSB), 9-7
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity