March 22, 2008
Boise, ID - The Bulldogs (5-8) lost to Brigham Young University (12-6) 5-2 in a battle for third place at the Boise State Invitational Saturday. Yale finished fourth place in the tournament with the loss.
Freshman Calvin Bennett and junior Josh Lederman took a victory at No. 1 doubles for Yale. The doubles team defeated AJ Young and Jonathan Sanchez 8-6. The Bulldogs lost the other to doubles matches and the doubles point.
Bennett and Lederman were also responsible for the Bulldogs lone singles victories. At No. 4 singles, Bennett took a straight set victory over Daniel Hwang 6-2, 7-5. Lederman battled to a 6-7, 6-1, 6-2 win over AJ Young at No. 6 singles.
1. Jonathan Sanchez (BYU) def. Michael Caldwell (YALE) 7-5, 6-3
2. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Jeff Dawson (YALE) 6-1, 2-6, 7-6
3. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Connor Dawson (YALE) 6-4, 6-4
4. Calvin Bennett (YALE) def. Daniel Hwang (BYU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Matt Schimmel (YALE) 6-3, 6-2
6. Josh Lederman (YALE) def. AJ Young (BYU) 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
1. Calvin Bennett/Josh Lederman (YALE) def. AJ Young/Jonathan Sanchez (BYU) 8-6
2. Daniel Hwang/Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Michael Caldwell/Connor Dawson (YALE) 9-7
3. Cassidy Mears/Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Jeff Dawson/Matt Schimmel (YALE) 8-2
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity