March 28, 2007
New Haven, CT - The Bulldogs (5-7) crushed the Seawolves (4-6) 6-1 Wednesday at the Cullman Center in their home return from the San Diego spring break trip. Yale swept all three doubles matches to win the doubles point in the match.
With senior Brandon Wai taking the day off, sophomores Michael Caldwell and Jeff Dawson won in straight sets at No. 1 and 2 singles for the Bulldogs. Freshman Connor Dawson pulled out a victory at No. 3 singles in three sets by winning in the third 6-1. Sophomore Josh Lederman edged opponent Alex Markovich at No. 5 singles 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7). Sophomore Tom Santoro crushed his opponent at No. 6 singles winning 6-0, 6-0.
Playing at No. 1 doubles, Jeff Dawson and Lederman defeated Nihal Advani and Markovich 8-5. Caldwell and Connor Dawson handed Ilan Shvartz and Quirijn Van Veen an 8-6 defeat at No. 2 doubles. Santoro and freshman Matt Schimmel led the Bulldogs at No. 3 doubles to an 8-3 defeat over Youssef Fassi-Fehri and Zack Smith.
Yale is back in action at home Saturday against Manhattan at 12:00 p.m. Saturday's match will conclude Yale's non-Ivy season as the Bulldogs will then play host to Penn and Princeton the following Friday and Saturday.
1. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Quirijn Van Veen (SB), 6-4, 6-4
2. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Youssef Fassi-Fehri (SB), 7-5, 6-3
3. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Nihal Advani (SB), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
4. Ilan Shvartz (SB) def. Matt Schimmel (Y), 6-1, 6-2
5. Josh Lederman (Y) def. Alex Markovich (SB), 5-7, 7-5, (10-7)
6. Tom Santoro (Y) def. Eugene Tsarevskiy (SB), 6-0, 6-0
1. J. Dawson / Lederman (Y) def. Advani / Markovich (SB), 8-5
2. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Shvartz / Van Veen (SB), 8-6
3. Santoro / Schimmel (Y) def. Fassi-Fehri / Zack Smith (SB), 8-3
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity