No. 66 Yale Defeats St. John's 5-2
March 28, 2009
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - No. 66 Yale improved to 10-5 with a 5-2 victory over St. John's Saturday at home. The Bulldogs won the doubles point in the victory.
Yale won two of three doubles matches to secure the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles, senior Michael Caldwell and junior Connor Dawson defeated Asaf Honig and Derek Wallensteen 8-3. Freshman Erik Blumenkranz and senior Josh Lederman won 8-5 over Milo Hauk and Pavel Cerny at No. 3 doubles.
In his return to the Yale lineup after an injury sidelined him for Yale's last three matches, senior captain Jeff Dawson pulled out a three set victory at No. 1 singles. Dawson battled to a 6-7, 6-3, 6-4 win over Honig.
Sophomore Calvin Bennett rolled to a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 4 singles over Cerny. Freshman Joel Samaha went three sets with Martin Kosut at No. 5 singles before winning 2-6, 7-5, 6-4. Playing No. 6 singles, Blumenkranz won 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 over Stefan Nikolic.
The match was Yale's last against a non-Ivy opponent. The Bulldogs will open their Ivy League season up at home against No. 73 Princeton and Penn next Friday and Saturday, respectively.
1. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Asaf Honig (S), 6-7, 6-3, 6-4
2. Gustavo Loza (S) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 6-4, 6-3
3. Milo Hauk (S) def. Michael Caldwell (Y), 6-2, 6-2
4. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. Pavel Cerny (S), 6-1, 6-3
5. Joel Samaha (Y) def. Martin Kosut (S), 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
6. Erik Blumenkranz (Y) def. Stefan Nikolic (S), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
1. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Honig / Derek Wallensteen (S), 8-3
2. Kosut / Loza (S) def. J. Dawson / Bennett (Y), 8-2
3. Blumenkranz / Josh Lederman (Y) def. Hauk / Cerny (S), 8-5
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity