Yale Edges Manhattan 4-3
March 31, 2007
New Haven, CT - The Bulldogs (6-7) concluded their non-Ivy season on a positive note as they pulled out their second straight victory Saturday at home. Yale edged Manhattan College (1-5) 4-3 thanks in part to an impressive doubles effort.
Playing without senior Brandon Wai for the second straight match, the Bulldogs managed to win three singles matches even though everyone had to move up one spot. Sophomore Jeff Dawson defeated opponent Mihai Nichifor 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. Returning after taking the Stony Brook match off, junior Rory Green cruised to a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Peter Czink at No. 3 singles. At No. 6 singles, sophomore Josh Lederman pulled out a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 victory over David Alvarado.
The Bulldogs managed to sweep all three doubles matches in order to secure the doubles point in the match. Jeff Dawson and Lederman won 9-8 at No. 1 doubles over Bogdan Borta and Nichifor. Sophomore Michael Caldwell and freshman Connor Dawson cruised to an 8-5 victory at No. 2 doubles over Zoltan Bus and Peter Czink. At No. 3 doubles, sophomore Tom Santoro and Green won 8-4 over David and Diego Alvarado.
Yale will open their Ivy League Season this Friday April 6 at home against Penn at 2 p.m. The Bulldogs will then play host to No. 65 Princeton the next day.
1. Bogdan Borta (M) def. Michael Caldwell (Y), 7-5, 7-6
2. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Mihai Nichifor (M), 6-3, 6-2
3. Rory Green (Y) def. Peter Czink (M), 6-3, 7-5
4. Diego Alvarado (M) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Zoltan Bus (M) def Matt Schimmel (Y), 6-3, 6-2
6. Josh Lederman (Y) def. David Alvarado (M), 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
1. J. Dawson / Lederman (Y) def. Borta / Nichifor (M), 9-8
2. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Bus / Czink (M), 8-5
3. Green / Tom Santoro (Y) def. David Alvarado / Diego Alvarado, 8-4
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity