April 11, 2008
New Haven, CT - The Bulldogs (7-10, 1-2 Ivy) dropped a 4-3 decision to Columbia (6-6, 2-1 Ivy) at home. Yale won the doubles point in the loss.
At No. 1 doubles, junior Josh Lederman and freshman Calvin Bennett defeated Mark Clemente and Kevin Kung 8-4. Senior Rory Green and junior Jeff Dawson pulled out a 9-7 victory over Justin Chow and Jared Drucker at No. 3 doubles.
Sophomore Connor Dawson rolled to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Drucker at No. 4 singles. At No. 5 singles, Bennett won 6-1, 4-6, 7-5.
After not playing tennis for nearly a month due to injury, Green found himself playing in the deciding match. Although Green pushed Bogdan Borta to three sets, Borta pulled the match out 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
Alex Dorato, the Cary Leeds Head Coach of Men's Tennis, said that Green played really well in a match against the best No. 3 singles player in the Ivy League.
"It was an amazing effort," Dorato said. "It was really a great match."
1. Wong (C) def. Caldwell (Y), 6-4, 6-4
2. Clemente (C) def. J. Dawson (Y), 6-4, 6-3
3. Borta (C) def. Green (Y), 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. C. Dawson (Y) def. Drucker (C), 6-3, 6-2
5. Bennett (Y) def. Chow (C), 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
6. Urban (C) def. Lederman (Y), 6-1, 7-5
1. Lederman / Bennett (Y) def. Clemente / Kung (C), 8-4
2. Wong / Borta (C) def. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y), 9-7
3. Green / J. Dawson (Y) def. Chow / Drucker (C), 9-7
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity