No. 64 Yale Loses to Harvard 5-2
April 19, 2009
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - No. 64 Yale fell to 3-3 in the Ivy League Sunday with a 5-2 loss to Harvard at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center. The Bulldogs won the doubles point in the loss.
Yale won two of three doubles matches to win the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles, the doubles team of senior Michael Caldwell and junior Connor Dawson won 8-5 over Chris Clayton and Alexei Chijoff-Evans. Sophomore Calvin Bennett and freshman Joel Samaha defeated Sasha Ermakov and Aba Omodele-Lucien at No. 2 doubles 8-5.
The Bulldogs lost three singles matches in three sets. Jeff Dawson took opponent Clayton, who is ranked No. 77 in the nation to a third set, before losing. Caldwell lost in a third set tiebreaker. Samaha also went three sets before falling.
Freshman Erik Blumenkranz won Yale's lone singles match. Blumenkranz defeated Michael Kalfayan 6-4, 6-4 at No. 6 singles.
Yale concludes its regular season Wednesday when it hosts Brown.
1. No. 77 Chris Clayton (H) def. Jeff Dawson (Y), 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Alexei Chijoff-Evans (H) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 6-2, 6-3
3. Sasha Ermakov (H) def. Michael Caldwell (Y), 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (7)
4. Aba Omodele-Lucien (H) def. Calvin Bennett (Y), 6-4, 7-6
5. Davis Mangham (H) def. Joel Samaha (Y), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
6. Erik Blumenkranz (Y) def. Michael Kalfayan (H), 6-4, 6-4
1. Caldwell / Connor Dawson (Y) def. Clayton / Chijoff-Evans (H), 8-5
2. Bennett / Samaha (Y) def. Ermakov / Omodele-Lucien (H), 8-5
3. Michael Hayes / Alistair Felton (H) def. Jeff Dawson / Josh Lederman (Y), 8-4
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity