Yale Tops Dartmouth 4-3
April 20, 2008
New Haven, CT - Yale (9-11, 3-3 Ivy) defeated Dartmouth (6-10, 1-5 Ivy) 4-3 Sunday in its home finale. Junior Jeff Dawson came up with the decisive victory for the Bulldogs in the win.
With the match score tied at three apiece, it all came down to Jeff Dawson's match at No. 1 singles. Dawson traded match point opportunities with opponent Mark Brodie before closing the door in a third set tiebreaker to clinch the victory for Yale.
Junior Michael Caldwell, sophomore Connor Dawson, and freshman Calvin Bennett also came up with victories for the Bulldogs at No. 2, 4, and 5 singles, respectively. Caldwell defeated opponent Daniel Freeman 7-6, 6-1. At No. 4 singles, Connor Dawson defeated Jeffrey Schechtman 6-3, 6-4. Bennett delivered a 6-4, 7-5 straight set victory over Ari Gayer at No. 5 singles.
But the most exciting match of the day was Jeff Dawson's battle at No. 1 singles. After losing the first set 6-3, Dawson forced a third set with a 6-1 second set victory. Dawson then finished out the match for the Yale victory in the third set tiebreaker.
1. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Mark Brodie (D), 3-6, 6-1, 7-6
2. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Daniel Freeman (D), 7-6, 6-1
3. Justin Tzou (D) def. Rory Green (Y), 6-2, 1-0 ret.
4. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Jeffrey Schechtman (D), 6-3, 6-4
5. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. Ari Gayer (D), 6-4, 7-5
6. Curtis Roby (D) def. Josh Lederman (Y), 6-4, 6-3
1. Schechtman / Brodie (D) def. Lederman / Bennett (Y), 8-6
2. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Freeman / Tzou (D), 8-4
3. Gayer / Roby (D) def. Green / Dawson (Y), 8-4
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity