April 23, 2008
Providence, RI - Yale (9-12, 3-4) lost to Brown (12-13, 5-2) 6-1 in its season finale Wednesday. Freshman Calvin Bennett came up with Yale's only victory in the match.
Playing at No. 4 singles, Bennett defeated opponent Noah Gardner 6-4, 6-2. Fellow freshman Jordan Abergel lost in three sets at No. 6 singles. After losing the first set 6-2, Abergel bounced back with a 6-3 win in the second set to force a third set. Abergel then lost the third set to opponent Kendrick Au.
With senior Rory Green sidelined by injury, the Bulldogs started no seniors in their finale. Despite a disappointing end to the season, the future looks bright for the Bulldogs as Yale will return nine players, including every member of the team that played against Brown Wednesday.
1. Saurabh Kohli (B) def. Michael Caldwell (Y), 6-4, 6-2
2. Chris Lee (B) def. Jeff Dawson (Y), 6-0, 7-6
3. Jonathan Pearlman (B) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 7-6, 6-3
4. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. Noah Gardner (B), 6-4, 6-2
5. Sam Garland (B) def. Josh Lederman (Y), 6-3, 7-5
6. Kendrick Au (B) def. Jordan Abergel (Y), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
1. No. 59 Kohli / Basudey Ratnam (B) def. Lederman / Bennett (Y), 8-5
2. Gardner / Garland (B) def. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y), 8-3
3. Lee / Cody Simmons (B) def. J. Dawson / Abergel (Y), 8-4
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity