Bulldogs Fall to No. 69 Columbia at ECACs
Sept. 30, 2007
Flushing, NY - Yale finished its weekend at the ECAC Championships in Flushing, New York with a 4-3 loss to No. 69 Columbia Sunday.
The Bulldogs won the doubles points after both the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles teams came away with victories. At No. 1 doubles, junior Michael Caldwell and sophomore Connor Dawson defeated Mark Clemente and Bogdan Borta 8-3. Juniors Jeff Dawson and Josh Lederman defeated Jonathan Wong and Kevin Kung at No. 2 doubles 8-6.
After winning the doubles point, the Bulldogs lost four out of the six singles matches and the match to Columbia. Yale's lone singles victories came at No. 3 and No. 6 singles. Connor Dawson won at No. 3 singles over Justin Chow 6-2, 6-0. Josh Lederman defeated Ilia Shatashvili at No. 6 singles after his opponent retired in the second set 6-4, 4-3.
1. Bogdan Borta (C) def. Michael Caldwell (Y), 6-4, 7-5
2. Mark Clemente (C) def. Jeff Dawson (Y), 6-2, 6-1
3. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Justin Chow (C), 6-2, 6-0
4. Kevin Kung (C) def. Tom Santoro (Y), 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
5. Dan Urban (C) def. Ryan Berman (Y), 7-5, 6-4
6. Josh Lederman (Y) def. Ilia Shastashvili (C), 6-4, 4-3 ret.
1. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Clemente / Borta (C), 8-3
2. J. Dawson / Lederman (Y) def. Wong/ Kung (C), 8-6
3. Chow / El Mihdawy (C) def. Rory Green / Santoro (Y), 8-5
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity