Bulldogs Head to Sunshine State for NCAA East Regional Championships
May 28, 2008
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - This weekend, a select group of Bulldogs will compete at the NCAA East Regional Championships held in Tallahassee, Fla. on the Mike Long Track at Florida State University. Ten Yale men, ranging from throwers to sprinters, met the tough performance standards in order to qualify for the meet. The competition will feature the best college track and field athletes on the east coast, from New England down to Florida.
Competition will be stiff in both the individual and team contests. Florida State is the defending national champions. In the most recent USTFCCCA Division I men's team rankings the Seminoles were ranked No. 3 behind LSU and Texas A&M, with Florida following at No. 4.
The East Regional meet is one of four regional competitions held this Friday and Saturday, May 30-31, and will help determine which athletes advance to the NCAA National Championships in Des Moines, Iowa, in June. The top five finishers in each individual event and the top three finishers in the 4x100 meter and 4x400 meter relays will automatically qualify for the NCAA Championships. At-large selections based on previous performances during the 2008 season will be announced June 3.
Heat sheets and live results will be posted here as they become available. Other spectator and participant information is also available on the Florida State Athletics site, including a schedule of events.
Representing the Bulldogs will be senior Victor Cheng (100-meter dash, 200-meter dash, 4x100-meter relay), sophomore Reynolds Holmes (4x100-meter relay, long jump), freshman Marty Evans (4x100-meter relay), junior Brandon Giles (100-meter dash, 4x100-meter relay), sophomore Chris Labosky (800-meter run), junior Jared Bell (1,500-meter run), junior Jake Gallagher (1,500-meter run), sophomore Eric DePalo (pole vault), junior Jeffrey Lachman (discus throw) and junior Nathan Noll (discus throw).
The first event for the Bulldogs on Friday will be the 4x100-meter relay prelims at 3:50 p.m., with their first field event, the long jump, following shortly thereafter at 4:00 p.m.
- 3:50 4x100-meter relay prelims (Victor Cheng, Brandon Giles, Reynolds Holmes, Marty Evans)
- 4:00 Long jump trials and final (Reynolds Holmes)
- 4:25 1,500-meter run prelims (Jared Bell, Jake Gallagher)
- 5:50 100-meter dash prelims (Victor Cheng, Brandon Giles)
- 7:10 800-meter run prelims (Chris Labosky)
- 8:50 200-meter dash prelims (Victor Cheng)
- 4:00 Pole vault final (Eric DePalo)
- 4:10 4x100-meter relay finals* (Victor Cheng, Brandon Giles, Reynolds Holmes, Marty Evans)
- 4:30 1,500-meter run finals* (Jared Bell, Jake Gallagher)
- 5:10 100-meter dash finals* (Victor Cheng, Brandon Giles)
- 5:30 800-meter run finals* (Chris Labosky)
- 6:00 Discus trials and final (Jeffrey Lachman, Nathan Noll)
- 6:05 200-meter dash finals* (Victor Cheng)
* Must advance from Friday's prelims to participate
Report by Bevin Peters '09, Yale Sports Publicity