Bulldogs tip off 2013-14 with high expectations.
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Bulldogs tip off the 2013-14 season with a trip to face Monmouth at the Multipurpose Athletics Center on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. Yale welcomes back three starters and 11 letterwinners from last season's squad. Junior Sarah Halejian was the team's leading scorer (13.8 ppg) and returns after earning All-Ivy League First Team honors. Senior captain Janna Graf led the team in rebounding (5.4 rpg) and added 12.1 ppg to earn Honorable Mention All-Ivy League. The Bulldogs posted a 13-15 campaign overall and a fourth-place finish in the Ivy League with an 8-6 mark, which included wins in six of the final eight contests.
• All-Time Series Record: First Meeting
• Head coach Jenny Palmateer has guided the Hawks to a 34-28 record in three seasons at the helm. A 1993 graduate of North Carolina State Universith, she was previously an assistant at Seton Hall University (2010-11), N.C. State (1999-2009), University of Virginia (1996-99) and Meredith COllege (1994-96).
• Monmouth is coming off a 15-15 season, which included a third-place finish in the Northeast Conference with a 12-6 mark.
• The Hawks enter 2013-14 in their inaugural campaign in the MAAC and were picked ninth in the coaches preseason poll. Saint Peter's, another Yale opponent, was picked 11th.
• Senior Chevannah Paalvast, MU's top returnee, was named to the Preseason All-MAAC Third Team. Paalvast is the lone returning starter and averaged 11.0 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. The 6-foot guard/forward also had 27 steals and 22 blocks last season.
• In addition to replacing four starters, the Hawks will look to replace a total of six letterwinners. With just eight returning letterwinners that accounted for less than half of last season's offensive output, MU will look to a group of six newcomers this season.
• The Bulldogs and Hawks share common opponents in Boston University and Saint Peter's this season.
Oh Captain, My Captain
• Senior Janna Graf takes over for Allie Messimer '13 as Yale's captain for the 2013-14 seasons. She is the 36th captain in the program's 41 seasons.
• Graf started in 76 games during her career and was named to the All-Ivy League Rookie Team in 2010-11 and earned All-Ivy League Honorable Mention honors last season.
• The 6-foot guard has averaged 10.8 points and 5.2 rebounds per game in her career and needs just 117 points to reach 1,000 for her career.
• Graf was named Yale's Most Improved Player last season, while also collecting Bulldog Basketball Awards for Charges Taken and Rebounds at last season's team banquet.