Team Has Won Award Every Season Pam Stuper Has Been Head Coach
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Ivy League champion Yale field hockey team has also been excelling in the classroom, as recognized recently by the National Field Hockey Coaches Association. As a team, the Bulldogs earned the NFHCA National Academic Team Award for the 2011 season. They also had 10 individuals named to the NFHCA National Academic Squad.
The Bulldogs have earned the National Academic Team Award in each of their seven seasons under head coach Pam Stuper. The award is presented to all field hockey teams that had a GPA of 3.0 or higher for the fall of 2011.
This year's 10 National Academic Squad honorees from Yale included two seniors who earned the award all four years of their careers: forward/midfielder Kirsten Krebs (Selinsgrove, Pa.) and midfielder Dinah Landshut (Hamburg, Germany). The National Academic Squad recognizes those student-athletes who have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.30 through the first semester of the 2011-12 academic year. Krebs and Landshut were also Academic All-Ivy League selections this past fall, the second time Landshut has earned that honor.
In addition to their success in the classroom, the Bulldogs also had a great run on the field in 2011. They went 11-6 overall and 6-1 in Ivy League play to earn a share of the Ivy title, Yale's first Ivy League title since 1980, with Princeton.
The Bulldogs also continue to be active in the community, including their work on the "Get a Grip" campaign to benefit the Myotonic Dystrophy Foundation in honor of junior goalkeeper Ona McConnell (London, England), who has the disease. This spring they also are continuing their involvement with the annual Mandi Schwartz Marrow Donor Registration Drive at Yale, which adds potential donors to the Be The Match registry for patients in need of life-saving transplants. A year ago, junior back Lexy Adams (Lancaster, Pa.) made a marrow donation to a patient with a life-threatening illness. Adams was also among the 10 Bulldogs who were selected to the National Academic Squad, the third time she has earned that honor.
Yale's 2011 NFHCA National Academic Squad honorees were:
- Jessie Accurso*, Fr., Jamison, Pa. (undeclared)
- Lexy Adams***, Jr., Lancaster, Pa. (molecular biophysics & biochemistry)
- Georgia Holland**, So., Stony Brook, N.Y. (undeclared)
- Kirsten Krebs****, Sr., Selinsgrove, Pa. (psychology)
- Dinah Landshut****, Sr., Hamburg, Germany (economics)
- Chelsey Locarno***, Sr., Boston, Mass. (English)
- Grace McInerney*, Fr., Blue Bell, Pa. (undeclared)
- Taylor Sankovich***, Sr., Short Hills, N.J. (history)
- Emily Schuckert**, So., Wilmington, Del. (undeclared)
- Maddy Sharp***, Jr., La Jolla, Calif. (environmental studies)
*: number of times honored