August 1, 2013
2013 Schedule Includes Five Games vs. NCAA Tournament Teams
Season Starts Sept. 6 vs. Virginia at Johnson Field
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Five games vs. teams that were ranked in the final 2012 national poll, and five vs. teams that took part in the 2012 NCAA Tournament, highlight the 2013 Yale field hockey schedule, which was released today. The 17-game regular season starts Friday, Sept. 6 vs. Virginia at Johnson Field. In addition to the seven Ivy League games -- starting with a visit from archrival Harvard for Alumnae Day on Sept. 21 -- the Bulldogs have 10 non-league games. This is Yale's ninth season with Pam Stuper as head coach.
Yale returns eight players who started 10 or more games and two All-Ivy League selections from last season, when the team went 6-11 overall and 3-4 in the league. The team's 40 wins in the past four seasons are the third best four-year span in school history.
Rising senior midfielder/back Georgia Holland (Stony Brook, N.Y.) is Yale's captain. Rising senior forward/midfielder Erica Borgo (Randolph, N.J.) is Yale's top returning scorer (6-3-15), followed by rising junior forward Jessie Accurso (Jamison, Pa.) (4-1-9).
Borgo (first team) and rising sophomore forward/midfielder Nicole Wells (Bryn Mawr, Pa.) (second team) were both All-Ivy League picks last season.
Here is a breakdown of the schedule for 2013, Yale's 42nd varsity season:
- Yale's regular-season schedule consists of 17 games. That includes seven games against Ivy League opponents (Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn and Princeton).
- The regular-season schedule includes 10 non-conference games: Sept. 6 vs. Virginia, Sept. 7 vs. Sacred Heart, Sept. 14 at Albany, Sept. 15 at Hofstra, Sept. 22 vs. Vermont, Oct. 6 at Quinnipiac, Oct. 12 at Cal, Oct. 13 at Stanford, Oct. 20 vs. Maine and Nov. 3 vs. UConn.
- Yale plays games in five different states (California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania).
- There are nine regular-season home games on the schedule and eight regular season road games.
- Yale plays five games against teams that ended last season ranked in the NFHCA national poll (No. 2 Princeton, No. 4 UConn, No. 7 Virginia, No. 11 Stanford, No. 17 Albany).
- The schedule includes five games against teams that took part in the 2012 NCAA tournament: Albany (advanced to second round), Princeton (won national championship), Stanford (lost in first round), UConn (advanced to second round) and Virginia (advanced to second round).
- Alumnae Day will be Saturday, Sept. 21 vs. Harvard at Johnson Field.
- Yale plays its final home game of the regular season Nov. 9, hosting Brown. The game will mark Senior Day, as the Bulldogs pay tribute to the six members of the Class of 2014: F/M Erica Borgo (Randolph, N.J.), GK Emily Cain (Laytonsville, Md.), F/M Gabrielle Garcia (Garden City, N.Y.), F Brooke Gogel (Bronxville, N.Y.), M/B Georgia Holland (Stony Brook, N.Y.) and M Emily Schuckert (Wilmington, Del.).
- The NCAA tournament, which includes 16 teams, begins Nov. 16-17 with first- and second-round games at campus sites. The winners of those series advance to the Final Four, which takes place at Old Dominion's Powhatan Sports Complex on Nov. 22 and 24.
- Yale will once again hold a "Get a Grip" fundraiser for the Myotonic Dystrophy Foundation in honor of former goalkeeper Ona McConnell '13, who has been diagnosed with that disease. Further details will be released shortly.
- Yale will offer live stats of home games on yalebulldogs.com. Live stats from road games will also be available through the host schools' websites.
- The schedule is subject to change. Check yalebulldogs.com for updates.
• 2013 Yale Field Hockey Schedule
Report by Sam Rubin '95 (email@example.com), Yale Sports Publicity