March 2, 2009
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Yale field hockey team earned the NFHCA National Academic Team Award for 2008 with the third-highest team grade-point average in the country. The Bulldogs also placed 12 individuals on the NFHCA Division I National Academic Squad, including all four seniors. Captain Ali Rotondo (Greenville, N.C.) was recognized as a four-time honoree. The Bulldogs have earned the National Academic Team Award in each year under head coach Pam Stuper, and this is the third time in her four years as head coach that the team has finished in the top five nationally.
The National Academic Team Award is presented to all teams that had a GPA of 3.0 or higher for the fall of 2008, with the top five teams listed separately. Yale (3.46 GPA) trailed only La Salle (3.56) and Old Dominion (3.47) nationally, and was the only Ivy League school in the top five. Indiana (3.46) tied Yale, and Central Michigan (3.45) and American (3.44) finished right behind the Bulldogs.
The National Academic Squad recognizes those student-athletes who have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.30 through the first semester of the 2008-09 academic year.
Yale's National Academic Squad honorees were:
- Katie Bolling **, So., Ann Arbor, Mich. (undeclared)
- Katie Cantore ***, Jr., Hershey, Pa. (history of science/history of medicine)
- Stephanie Colantonio ***, Jr., Watertown, Mass. (psychology)
- Alyssa Jethani ***, Sr., Vancouver, B.C. (political science & international studies)
- Kirsten Krebs *, Fr., Selinsgrove, Pa. (undeclared)
- Dinah Landshut *, Fr., Hamburg, Germany (undeclared)
- Ashley McCauley ***, Jr., Rye, N.Y. (American studies)
- Johna Paolino *, So., East Greenwich, R.I. (undeclared)
- Laura Pierce ***, Sr., Rutland, Vt. (history of science/history of medicine)
- Ali Rotondo ****, Sr., Greenville, N.C. (history of science/history of medicine)
- Julia Weiser ***, Jr., Houston, Texas (biology)
- Jayna Whitcher *, Sr., North Falmouth, Mass. (history)
Report by Sam Rubin '95 (email@example.com), Yale Sports Publicity