Yale Earns National Academic Team Award, Places 15 on National Academic Squad
March 5, 2007
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Yale field hockey team earned the National Academic Team Award from the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Monday, placing third in the country in team GPA at 3.47. The Bulldogs also placed 15 individuals on the NFHCA's Division I National Academic Squad.
As a team, Yale trailed only Louisville (3.60) and American (3.52) in team GPA. The National Academic Team Award is presented to all teams that had a GPA of 3.0 or higher for the fall of 2006. Yale was the top-ranked Ivy League school and also had more individuals on the National Academic Squad (15) than any other Ivy. Only Louisville (19) and Stanford (16) had more individuals overall.
The National Academic Squad recognizes those collegiate student-athletes who have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.30 through the first semester of the 2006-07 academic year. Yale's honorees were:
- Katie Cantore, Fr., Hershey, Pa. (undeclared)
- Stephanie Colantonio, Fr., Watertown, Mass. (undeclared)
- Lindsay Collins, Sr., Virginia Beach, Va. (molecular biophysics and biochemistry)
- Elizabeth Friedlander, Sr., Milwaukee, Wisc. (architecture)
- Charlotte Goins, Fr., New Bern, N.C. (undeclared)
- Alyssa Jethani, So., Vancouver, B.C. (political science)
- Lorrie Kiger, Jr., Pittsburgh, Pa. (classics -- Latin)
- Rachel Lentz, Sr., Short Hills, N.J. (history of science/history of medicine)
- Ashley McCauley, Fr., Rye, N.Y. (undeclared)
- Heather Orrico, Sr., Southbury, Conn. (political science)
- Laura Pierce, So., Rutland, Vt. (history of science/history of medicine)
- Ali Rotondo, So., Greenville, N.C. (undeclared)
- Allison Spitzer, Sr., Boston, Mass. (psychology)
- Harriet Thayer, Jr., Briarcliff, N.Y. (religious studies)
- Julia Weiser, Fr., Houston, Texas (undeclared)
Lentz is a four-time honoree, while Collins, Friedlander, Kiger and Spitzer have been honored three times. Rotondo is a two-time selection.
report by Sam Rubin '95 (firstname.lastname@example.org), Yale Sports Publicity