Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Late Goal by Marchin Gets Yale 1-1 OT Tie with SLU

Taylor Marchin. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)
Taylor Marchin. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)

Unbeaten Streak at Three

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Capped by a dramatic glove save by junior goaltender Jaimie Leonoff as time expired in overtime, the Yale women's ice hockey team came away with a 1-1 overtime tie vs. St. Lawrence Saturday afternoon at Ingalls Rink. The Bulldogs trailed until seven minutes remained in regulation, when freshman defenseman Taylor Marchin tied the game. Leonoff finished with 30 saves as Yale extended its unbeaten streak to three games.

Combined with Friday's 3-3 overtime tie with No. 5/6 Clarkson, the Bulldogs had to work 130 minutes to gain two points in the ECAC Hockey standings this weekend.

"Certainly both nights we worked very hard," said Yale head coach Joakim Flygh. "The first two periods today we were really strong. I give credit to St. Lawrence; they pushed back in the third."

On a day dominated by goalies and defense, Yale (6-10-3, 4-5-3 ECAC Hockey) kept St. Lawrence (6-14-2, 5-5-2 ECAC Hockey) from getting a shot on goal for the first 13:14 of the game. Yale had to kill off a 5-on-3 for 52 seconds late in the first period, and with sophomore forward Janelle Ferrara, sophomore forward Jamie Haddad and senior defenseman Aurora Kennedy getting that kill off to a good start by clearing the zone after the face-off, the Bulldogs limited the Saints to one shot on goal with the two-man advantage.

Right after the second penalty expired, though, St. Lawrence took a 1-0 lead on a goal by forward Rylee Smith. She redirected a shot from inside the blue line by defenseman Kirsten Padalis.

"Up to that point we felt really good about where we were in the game," said Flygh. "But they got a 5-on-3, and they got momentum. They scored a great goal on that deflection."

The Bulldogs outshot the Saints 9-5 in the first period, and their shot advantage was even more lopsided in the second period: 16-7. But Saints goalie Carmen MacDonald stopped them all, and a shot by Kennedy with Yale on a power play hit the cross bar and ricocheted into the netting behind the goal. MacDonald followed up that fortunate bounce by making a great save on a shot by Haddad right in front, then sprawling out to deny an attempted follow-up by sophomore defenseman Kate Martini.

The game-tying goal for Yale came after sophomore forward Hanna Åström got the puck to freshman forward Phoebe Staenz along the boards. With MacDonald out of position and reaching to grab her fallen stick amidst a pile-up of players near the net, Staenz fired the puck across the ice to a wide-open Marchin at the top of the left circle. Marchin blasted one past the prone St. Lawrence netminder.

"That was a great effort on our goal," said Flygh. "It was a great pass by Phoebe, and Taylor ripped it."

But after that neither team could generate more offense for the remainder of regulation. Martini's shot in the final seconds was blocked, and the Bulldogs headed to overtime for the second night in a row.

The Saints had the first Grade-A chance in the extra session, as Smith carried the puck in off the opening faceoff and headed right for the net. But Leonoff denied both of her shots, the initial one and the attempt off the rebound.

Leonoff had to make another pair of saves in rapid succession with less than three minutes to go in OT, as forwards Abby McRae and Brooke Webster both tried to push in a loose puck just outside the crease to Leonoff's left.

Yale's best chances to win the game in overtime came in the final minute. Staenz stole the puck inside the St. Lawrence zone with 52 seconds left, but MacDonald was able to deny her shot. The Saints then blocked a hard shot by Marchin, and MacDonald covered up the puck after junior forward Stephanie Mock attempted to follow up.

The Bulldogs then had one final scare. After breaking up a Yale play high in the St. Lawrence zone, the Saints' Smith and defenseman Mel Desrochers came charging in on Leonoff with a two-on-one. Smith carried the puck in deep from the right side but opted to shoot rather than pass, because senior defenseman Tara Tomimoto was back and in perfect position. Leonoff came out to challenge Smith and reacted quickly to glove her wrister to seal the tie.

"Jaimie charged out, and cut down the angle," said Flygh. "Given the way the play developed, that was the right decision. We took away the pass completely."

Yale returns to action next Friday at Ingalls Rink at 7:00 p.m., hosting Brown in the annual "White Out for Mandi" game in memory of Mandi Schwartz '10 (1988-2011).

Report by Sam Rubin '95 (, Yale Sports Publicity