Junior Forward Scored Four Goals vs. Princeton, Helped Yale Clinch Playoff Berth
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Junior forward Jackie Raines (London, Ont.), who scored four goals Saturday in a 5-3 win at Princeton that clinched an ECAC Hockey playoff berth for the Yale women's ice hockey team, was named the conference's Player of the Week on Wednesday.
Raines' big weekend started with an assist on Friday night in Yale's 3-3 overtime tie at No. 10 Quinnipiac. On Saturday, she helped the Bulldogs overcome an early 2-0 deficit with one goal in the first period, one in the second and two in the third -- including the game-winner. Her first two goals each came within 14 seconds after a Princeton goal, mitigating the Tigers' momentum. With the win, Yale earned a spot in the ECAC Hockey playoffs for the first time since 2008.
Raines was +3 for the weekend and led the team in shots with 12, 31 percent of Yale's shot total. She now has eight goals and four assists in 10 games this year after missing all of last season with an injury. She returned to the ice on Jan. 3.
Raines is the second Bulldog to earn a Player of the Week Award this year, joining freshman forward Phoebe Staenz (Zürich, Switzerland) (who earned the honor Dec. 10, after scoring four goals in a game at Providence).
This was the ninth ECAC Hockey award of the season for a Yale player. The ECAC Hockey awards are determined by a vote of the league's coaches.
Yale hosts No. 5 Harvard Friday night at Ingalls Rink.
Yale's ECAC Hockey Honors 2013-14:
- Phoebe Staenz, ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week 12/3
- Phoebe Staenz, ECAC Hockey Player of the Week 12/10
- Phoebe Staenz, ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week 12/10
- Phoebe Staenz, ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Month (December)
- Jaimie Leonoff, ECAC Hockey Goalie of the Week 1/21
- Phoebe Staenz, ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week 1/21
- Phoebe Staenz, ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week 1/28
- Phoebe Staenz, ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Month (January)
- Jackie Raines, ECAC Hockey Player of the Week 2/18
Report by Sam Rubin '95 (firstname.lastname@example.org), Yale Sports Publicity