Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Second-Half Rally Pushes No. 7 Cornell Past Yale 15-6

Sydney Marks. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)
Sydney Marks. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Yale women's lacrosse team was 30 minutes away from upsetting No. 7 Cornell Saturday afternoon at Reese Stadium, holding a 5-3 lead on the Big Red at halftime. But Cornell, the defending Ivy League Tournament Champions, had a response ready for the upstart Bulldogs. The Big Red scored the first three goals of the second half -- and then nine more after Yale briefly tied the game 6-6. The 15-6 win lifted Cornell to a 3-0 Ivy record, the only such team in the league.

The first 12:43 of this game was a particularly impressive stretch for Yale (5-4, 1-2 Ivy League), as the Bulldogs jumped out to a 5-2 lead on a Cornell team that was coming off an 11-10 win against No. 9 Southern Cal. Yale's goals came from five different players -- senior attacker Tess McEvoy, junior midfielder Madeleine Gramigna, junior attacker Kiwi Comizio, junior midfielder Emily Granger and senior attacker Hope Hanley.

But Hanley's impressive goal off a spin move just outside the crease would wind up being Yale's last tally for a span of nearly 22 minutes. Cornell, which came into the game allowing a mere 7.67 goals per game (fifth in the nation), tightened things up defensively and allowed the Bulldogs only 10 second-half shots.

The Big Red crept closer with a goal at 16:24 of the first, then had one waved off because it came just after the final horn before halftime. The second half started with a 3-0 Cornell run, including a pair of goals by midfielder Joey Coffy and one by attacker Amie Dickson -- the first point of the game for the Big Red's leading scorer. She would finish with three goals and an assist.

A nice feed from Hanley set up Comizio for her second goal of the day -- and Hanley's third assist of the day -- to tie the game 6-6 at 25:25. But Cornell went back ahead less than five minutes later on a goal by midfielder Kristy Gilbert.

One of Yale's best chances to get back in the game came with 19 minutes to play, but an apparent goal by sophomore attacker Izzy Nixon was waved off because she was charged with a dangerous follow-through. The score was just 8-6 Cornell at that point, but within the next 10 minutes a 5-0 Cornell run broke the game open. That came despite a point-blank save by junior goaltender Sydney Marks on Coffy with 17 minutes left. She would finish with 11 saves before giving way to sophomore Allie Carrigan, who made three saves in the final 15:51.

Cornell (6-1, 3-0 Ivy League) scored twice in the final 4:31 to make the final 15-6. Both of those were free positon goals, part of a day in which Cornell was 8-for-14 on free positions while Yale was just 1-for-5.

Yale wound up with a 14-9 advantage in draw controls, led by five from Nixon and four from senior defender Marisa Cresham. But Cornell won eight of 14 draws in the second half, a key factor in the Big Red's rally. Cornell's deep attack saw eight different players score goals, while seven players had multiple-point outings.

Yale travels to Boston College next Wednesday for a 4:00 p.m. game.

Report by Sam Rubin '95 (, Yale Sports Publicity