NEW HAVEN, Conn. - No. 36 Yale fell to 9-2 on the season with a 6-1 loss Sunday against No. 20 Vanderbilt at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center. The loss snapped the Bulldogs home winning streak at 23 straight matches.
Yale's lone singles victory came on a win by junior Stevi Petrelli (pictured) at No. 4 singles. Petrelli won a hard-fought match in straight sets.
The Bulldogs lost three singles matches in three sets. After dropping the first set at No. 3, 5 and 6 singles, Yale players battled back to win the second set before falling in the third.
The doubles team of sophomore Stephanie Kent and senior Jessica Rhee was responsible for Yale's lone doubles victory. The duo rolled to an 8-4 victory at No. 2 doubles.
1. Wu / Preeg (V) def. Brook / Clark (Y), 8-4
2. Kent / Rhee (Y) def. Steinbauer / Newman (V), 8-4
3. Dillon / Robertson (V) def. Lederhandler / Petrelli (Y), 8-6
1. Wu (V) def. Kent (Y), 7-6, 6-4
2. Newman (V) def. Brook (Y), 6-3, 6-1
3. Preeg (V) def. Rhee (Y), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Petrelli (Y) def. Ulery (V), 6-3, 7-6
5. Dillon (V) def. Epstein (Y), 6-0, 2-6, 6-3
6. Steinbauer (V) def. Clark (Y), 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity