MIAMI — The No. 24 nationally-ranked Yale women’s tennis team traded points all day with No. 47 Florida International in Miami on Saturday, battling back and forth with the host Golden Panthers. However, when the final point was tallied, it was Florida International sneaking by the Bulldogs by a score of 4-3. Jessica Rhee, Elizabeth Epstein and Stevi Petrelli won their singles matches for Yale, which falls to 10-4 after the narrow defeat.
The Golden Panthers started the day by claiming all three doubles matches to notch the doubles point. Yale’s trio of singles’ victories left the outcome in doubt to the final match, Yale senior Sarah Lederhandler challenging Florida International’s Maria Vallasciani in the No. 6 position. The Bulldogs’ captain dropped the first set, 6-4, but rallied with a 6-3 win in set two to force a third frame of action. The third set was a hotly-contested affair, as Vallasciani eked out a 7-5 win to clinch victory for the home team.
The Bulldogs will be back in action on Friday, March 19 as they return to New Haven to meet cross-town rival Quinnipiac. First serve from the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center is slated for 6 p.m.
- Liset Brito/Priscilla Castillo (FIU) def. Vicky Brook/Lindsay Clark 8-1
- Maria Vallasciani/Magali Holt (FIU) def. Stephanie Kent/Jessica Rhee 8-5
- Christine Seredni/Maria Spenceley (FIU) def. Elizabeth Epstein/Stevi Petrelli 8-3
- #87 Liset Brito (FIU) def. Stephanie Kent 6-3, 6-4
- Christine Seredni (FIU) def. Vicky Brook 2-6, 7-6 (4), 6-1
- Jessica Rhee (YALE) def. Maria Spenceley 6-0, 7-6 (7)
- Elizabeth Epstein (YALE) def. Castillo, Priscilla (FIU) 7-5, 6-4
- Petrelli, Stevi (YALE) def. Holt, Magali (FIU) 6-0, 6-0
- Vallasciani, Maria (FIU) def. Lederhandler, Sarah (YALE) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
Order of finish: 5,3,1,4,2,6*
report filed by Drew M. Kingsley, Yale Sports Publicity