No. 40 Yale Falls to No. 33 Princeton 6-1
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - No. 33 Princeton proved too much for No. 40 Yale in the Ivy League opener as the Tigers defeated the Bulldogs 6-1 Friday at Yale University. Yale fell to 11-5 on the season and 0-1 in the Ivy League with the loss. Princeton improved to 15-5 and 2-0 in the Ivy League with the win.
Never having defeated Yale during head coach Danielle Lund McNamara's tenure, Princeton came in hungry from the start. The Tigers grabbed the doubles point and jumped out to one set leads at all six singles matches.
Junior Stevi Petrelli bounced back to grab the second set at No. 4 singles and went on to defeat opponent Taylor Marable 7-5, 1-6, (10-4), but it was not enough for the Bulldogs.
The loss was just the second in Yale's last 27 home matches.
The Bulldogs will look to bounce back Saturday when they host Penn.
1. No. 72 Hilary Bartlett (P) def. Stephanie Kent (Y), 6-1, 6-4
2. Melissa Saiontz (P) def. Vicky Brook (Y), 6-4, 6-2
3. Rachel Saiontz (P) def. Jessica Rhee (Y), 6-4, 6-2
4. Stevi Petrelli (Y) def. Taylor Marable (P), 7-5, 1-6, (10-4)
5. Blakely Ashley (P) def. Lindsay Clark (Y), 6-4, 6-4
6. Monica Chow (P) def. Sarah Lederhandler (Y), 6-3, 6-2
1. No. 19 Marable / Bartlett (P) def. Brook / Clark (Y), 8-5
2. M. Saiontz / R. Saiontz (P) def. Rhee / Kent (Y), 8-4
3. Petrelli / Lederhandler (Y) def. Ashley / Chow (P), 8-6
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity
Video by Sam Dorward '13, Yale Sports Publicity