Yale Beats Princeton to Win Third Straight ECAC Title
PRINCETON, N.J. - Freshman Annie Sullivan's come-from-behind three-set win at No. 6 singles clinched the ECAC Championship for the Yale women's tennis team Sunday night against Princeton on the Tigers' home court. The Bulldogs dropped the doubles point but won four singles matches to claim their third straight ECAC title.
In addition to Sullivan, Yale also got wins in singles from junior Vicky Brook at No. 1, sophomore Elizabeth Epstein at No. 2 and senior captain Stevi Petrelli at No. 5. Epstein and Petrelli won in straight sets, while Brook won in three. Sullivan dropped the first set but rallied back to win the final two.
The match began with Princeton capturing the doubles point after winning at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Since Princeton clinched the point with two out of three wins, the No. 2 match did not finish.
However, the Yale Bulldogs overcame their initial setback, winning four of five singles matches. Blair Seideman at No. 3 singles, who split sets and was up in the third, did not finish her match since Yale had already won the title.
report by Courtney Kaplan '13, Yale Sports Publicity
1. Bartlett/Marable (P) def. Brook/Lindsay Clark (Y), 8-6
2. Chow/Flanigan (P) vs. Kent/Sullivan (Y), 7-7 DNF
3. Ashley/Saiontz (P) def. DeFilippis/Epstein (Y), 8-6
Order of finish: 1,3
1. Vicky Brook (Y) def. Hilary Bartlett (P), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
2. (101) Elizabeth Epstein (Y) def. Taylor Marable (P), 6-2, 6-1
3. Blair Seideman (Y) vs. Rachel Saiontz (P), 6-4, 3-6, 2-1 DNF
4. Monica Chow (P) def. Stephanie Kent (P), 6-2, 6-2
5. Stevi Petrelli (Y) def. Katherine Flanigan (P), 6-4, 6-3
6. Annie Sullivan (Y) def. Blakely Ashley (P), 6-7(4), 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2,5,4,1,6