Ree Ree Li Wins in Highly Anticipated Return
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — The Yale women's tennis team got their fall season off to the right start Friday, with all eight players earning wins at singles in the first day of the Bulldog Invitational. The hosts faced Virginia Tech and Brown in singles before taking on Purdue and Penn in doubles.
Senior captain Annie Sullivan, fresh off an appearance at the ITA/Riviera Women's All-American Championships, was at the helm for the Bulldogs, cruising to a win at No. 1 over Virginia Tech's Raluca Mita (6-2, 6-2). Junior Hanna Yu, who played mostly No. 4 last season, earned a hard-fought victory at No. 2 against Martinez Manos (6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (3)). Closing out the top of the order was sophomore Madeleine Hamilton, last year's Ivy League Rookie of the Year, who handed Kelly Lilliford a 6-3, 7-5 loss at No. 3.
Yale freshmen Sherry Li and Caroline Lynch both made their collegiate debuts Friday, recording wins at Nos. 4 and 8, respectively. While the rest of the Bulldogs faced Virginia Tech players in singles, Lynch matched up against Brown's Victoria Traynor, defeating her 6-3, 6-4. Sophomore Ree Ree Li, who missed most of last season due to injury, made her highly anticipated return with a victory over Tea Ivanovic at No. 5 (7-5, 6-1).
In the afternoon the Bulldogs faced doubles pairs from Purdue and Penn, going 1-2 against Purdue and 1-0 against Penn. Hamilton and Sherry Li showed great chemistry at No. 2, defeating Purdue's Andjela Djokovic and Nikki Robinson 8-5.
After one day of play, Sullivan is tied for first in the singles standings, while Yu sits behind her in a tie for fifth. Hamilton and Li are tied for fifth at doubles.
Saturday, the Bulldogs will take on Purdue at singles at 10 a.m. At 1 p.m. they will pair off for a doubles matchup with Virginia Tech.
Report by Joe Giammittorio '15, Yale Sports Publicity
Yale vs. Virginia Tech/Brown
1) Annie Sullivan (Yale) def. Raluca Mita (VTech) 6-2, 6-2
2) Hannah Yu (Yale) def. Isel Martinez Manos (VTech) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (3)
3) Madeleine Hamilton (Yale) def. Kelly Lilliford (VTech) 6-3, 7-5
4) Sherry Li (Yale) def. Carol Kahoun (VTech) 6-1, 6-1
5) Ree Ree Li (Yale) def. Tea Ivanovic (VTech) 7-5, 6-1
6) Amber Li (Yale) def. Sansitha Nandakumar (VTech) 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (1)
7) Courtney Amos (Yale) def. Laura Ramthun (VTech) 6-1, 1-0 Ret.
8) Caroline Lynch (Yale) def. Victoria Traynor (Brown) 6-3, 6-4
Yale vs. Purdue/Penn
1) Xepoleas/Vidal (Purdue) def. Sullivan/R. Li (Yale) 8-5
2) Hamilton/S. Li (Yale) def. Robinson/Djokovic (Purdue) 8-5
3) Escribens/Davila (Purdue) def. Yu/Lynch (Yale) 8-7 (4)
4) A. Li/Amos (Yale) def. Yapp-Shing/Ion (Penn) 8-6