Sophomores Shine on Day Two of Bulldog Invitational
Hamilton Battles to Win at No. 4
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Saturday of the Bulldog Invitational brought more challenges and more success for the Yale women's tennis team, who faced off against Penn and Purdue at singles before taking on Dartmouth and Virginia Tech at doubles.
Yale's sophomores had a particularly strong day, with 2013 Ivy League Rookie of the Year Madeleine Hamilton winning six straight games in the third set to claim a win at No. 4 over Penn's Kana Daniel. Hamilton, who paired with senior captain Annie Sullivan for the afternoon, went on to earn a win at No. 2 doubles over Virginia Tech's Raluca Mita and Sansitha Nandakumar. Classmate Courtney Amos was also perfect on the day, defeating Penn's Alex Ion 6-3, 6-1 at No. 8 singles and, alongside junior Hanna Yu, taking down Dartmouth's Sarah Bessen and Narni Summerall at No. 4 doubles. Ree Ree Li, who rounds out the sophomore class, moved up in the singles order Saturday by taking on Purdue's No. 3 Daniela Vidal, but ultimately lost in three sets after winning the first.
The Bulldogs will conclude the tournament Sunday with a doubles matchup against Iowa at 12 p.m., followed immediately by a singles matchup with Boston College.
Report by Joe Giammittorio '15, Yale Sports Publicity
Yale vs. Purdue/Penn
1. Lynda Xepoleas (Purdue) def. Annie Sullivan (Yale) 6-0, 6-1
2. Sherry Li (Yale) def. Nicole Robinson (Purdue) 6-2, 6-1
3. Daniela Vidal (Purdue) def. Ree Ree Li (Yale) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Madeleine Hamilton (Yale) def. Kana Daniel (Penn) 7-5, 2-6, 6-0
5. Hanna Yu (Yale) def. Andjela Djokovic (Purdue) 7-5, 6-0
6. Claudia Escribens (Purdue) def. Caroline Lynch (Yale) 6-2, 6-4
7. Jaime Yapp-Shing (Penn) def. Amber Li (Yale) 6-4, 6-1
8. Courtney Amos (Yale) def. Alex Ion (Penn) 6-3, 6-1
Yale v. Virginia Tech/Dartmouth
1. Martinez-Marcos/Williford (VTech) def. R. Li/S. Li (Yale) 8-5
2. Sullivan/Hamilton (Yale) def. Mita/Nandakumar (VTech) 8-5
3. Ivanovic/Kahoun (VTech) def. Lynch/A.Li (Yale) 8-3
4. Yu/Amos (Yale) def. Bessen/Summerall(Dart) 8-4