Sullivan, Yu Win at Doubles
NEW HAVEN, Conn. —Saturday the No. 36-ranked Yale women's tennis team had another good day on the courts, besting their Cornell opponents in six of seven singles matches. The Bulldogs won one of three doubles matches.
Sophomore Madeleine Hamilton and senior captain Annie Sullivan continued their dominant play at the top of the lineup, with both players producing wins for the second day in a row. Sophomore Ree Ree Li, who missed most of last spring due to injury, put on a good display at No. 4, defeating her opponent 6-3, 6-4.
Despite their strong play at singles, the Bulldogs had some struggles at doubles, a traditional strength for the team. While junior Hanna Yu and Sullivan won six quick games at No. 1, Hamilton and Ree Ree Li fell 6-4 at No. 2, and the Bulldogs' No. 3 pair, sophomore Courtney Amos and freshman Sherry Li, lost in a tiebreaker.
The match was, nonetheless, a good performance for the Bulldogs and bodes well for their impending Ivy League season. Yale will finish up the tournament tomorrow with a match against St. John's at 1 p.m.
Report by Joe Giammittorio '15, Yale Sports Publicity
1. Yu/Sullivan (Yale) def. Cusick/D'Ascenzo (Cornell) 6-1
2. Young/Frazier (Cornell) def. R. Li/Hamilton (Yale) 6-4
3. Tanenbaum/Kung (Cornell) def. S. Li/Amos (Yale) 7-6(5)
1. Hamilton (Yale) def. Tanenbaum (Cornell) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sullivan (Yale) def. Cusick (Cornell) 7-5, 6-4
3. Yu (Yale) def. Young (Cornell) 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
4. R. Li (Yale) def. D'Ascenzo (Cornell) 6-3, 6-4
5. S. Li (Yale) def. Frazier (Cornell) 6-2, 6-3
6. Amos (Yale) def. Kung (Cornell) 6-0, 6-2
7. Safron (BC) def. A. Li (Yale) 7-6(7) 6-2, 6-3