NEW HAVEN, Conn. —Sunday the No. 36-ranked Yale women's tennis team put on its best performance of the three-day Yale Classic, winning all 10 of its matches against St. John's. The Bulldogs were 18-4 at singles and 6-4 at doubles on the weekend.
All seven singles matches Sunday were resolved in two sets. From the top flight down, it was sophomore Madeleine Hamilton, freshman Sherry Li, senior captain Annie Sullivan, junior Hanna Yu, sophomore Ree Ree Li, sophomore Courtney Amos and freshman Caroline Lynch who won in that order.
With a weekend of good play behind them, the Bulldogs now turn their attention to the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Ann Arbor, Mich. The four-team event will be Yale's first team competition of the season and a chance for the Bulldogs to test themselves against strong opponents. Yale faces No. 28 Tulsa in the first round on Saturday and, with a win, would take on the winner of No. 54 Virginia Tech and No. 11 Michigan on Sunday. The site's overall winner will receive an invitation to the ITA National Team Indoor Championship in Charlottesville, Va. (Feb. 6-9).
- Yu/Sullivan (Yale) def. Pavlyuk/Adams (SJU) 6-1
- Hamilton/R. Li (Yale) def. Arnaudova/Morozova (SJU) 7-5
- S. Li/A. Li (Yale) def. Elgegren/Polyakova (SJU) 6-1
- Hamilton (Yale) def. Pavlyuk (SJU) 6-4, 7-5
- S. Li (Yale) def. Polyakova (SJU) 6-2, 6-3
- Sullivan (Yale) def. Morozova (SJU) 6-4, 6-0
- Yu (Yale) def. Adams (SJU) 7-5, 6-1
- R. Li (Yale) def. Arnaudova (SJU) 6-1, 6-4
- Amos (Yale) def. Elgegren (SJU) 6-0, 6-2
- Lynch (Yale) def. Vlaskamp (SJU) 6-4, 6-3
Report by Joe Giammittorio '15, Yale Sports Publicity