No. 59 Bulldogs Earn Big Win over Big Red
ITHACA, N.Y. —Saturday the No. 59-ranked Yale women's tennis team (10-8, 2-1 Ivy) earned a 6-1 win over Cornell in its first Ivy League match on the road. The Bulldogs won the doubles point before taking five of six singles matches.
Saturday's was the fourth match in a row and the third in League play where the Bulldogs bested their opponents at doubles. Sophomore Courtney Amos and senior captain Annie Sullivan got things started at No. 3, while sophomore Madeleine Hamilton and freshman Sherry Li followed up with a win over Marika Cusick and Alexandra D'Ascenzo at No. 1 to take an early lead.
The Bulldogs kept things rolling into singles, where sophomore Ree Ree Li took the first match with a 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 4. Sullivan, who has been dominant in the No. 3 position of late, finished shortly thereafter, defeating Cusick 6-4, 6-1. With the Big Red on its heels, junior Hanna Yu, who has gone 2-1 in her last three matches at No. 2, stepped into the No. 1 position and earned a two-set win over Cornell's top player to clinch a victory for the Bulldogs. Sherry Li and Amos and topped things off with wins at Nos. 5 and 6, respectively.
The Bulldogs will travel to No. 33 Columbia Sunday for a high-stakes Ivy matchup. The Lions are 4-0 in the Ivy League. That match will take place at 12:00 p.m.
#59 YALE 6, CORNELL 1
Saturday's results; at Reis Tennis Center; Ithaca, N.Y.
1. Madeleine Hamilton/Sherry Li (Y) def. Marika Cusick/Alexandra D'Ascenzo, 8-6
2. Lauren Frazier/Christy Kung (C) vs. Ree Ree Li/Hanna Yu, unfinished (7-6)
3. Courtney Amos/Annie Sullivan (Y) def. Shannon Comolli/Dena Tanenbaum, 8-6
1. Yu (Y) def. Tanenbaum, 6-3, 6-3
2. D'Ascenzo (C) def. Hamilton, 6-3, 6-3
3. Sullivan (Y) def. Cusick, 6-4, 6-1
4. R. Li (Y) def. Comolli, 6-0, 6-3
5. S. Li (Y) def. Frazier, 3-6, 7-5, 1-0
6. Amos (Y) def. Kung, 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1), Singles (4,3,1,6,2,5)
Records: Cornell 7-7 (0-4 Ivy), Yale 10-8 (2-1 Ivy)
Report by Joe Giammittorio '15, Yale Sports Publicity